Did you see? Don't read if you are sensitive!

The story on the National news last night about the WWII vet 85 ys old found frozen to death in his home? He apperantly owed the electric co a thousand dollars and they shut his power off for non payment. The story went on to say his estate left six hundred thousand dollars to a local hospital. I don't understand how his bill was not paid. In our town the utility co cannot shut off power from 11- 1 to 3-1 for just this reason. We were so upset by this. This man was a vet. I think if you risk your life for this country you should have medical and a pension and certain things automatically! This never should have been allowed to happen...what are your thoughts? I have never been in the military but I think vets should be taken care of.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 10:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• the utility companys dont give a flying fuck who you are. they just want their money bottom line.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree that we need to take better care of our Veterans, and at first was outraged by this poor old man freezing to death, but there was obviously more to the case than we know if he had that much money to leave to the hospital he could afford to pay the power bill.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Thats so sad and I agree with you, they should do way more for our vets.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 10:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Its sad but happens more often then it makes the news. Utility companies give us electricty and expect payment for it. They dont care if your Jesus Christ himself. Theyd shut his lights off too and say they didnt realize he was God.

Answer by gemgem at 10:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• aww this is so sad :( maybe he wanted to go. seriously- cause he did have money- and he could have went SOMEWHERE to not freeze to death. might sound stupid but that very well could have been the case.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I believe our utility company has guidelines they have to go by also such as the temp has to be above a certain degree to shut power off in the winter. I was upset when I read the story, not because he was a vet but because he died due to freezing to death in his own home. I know he left part of his estate to one of his nephews because he did not have any children and his wife passed away I believe a year ago. There are still so many questions left unanswered about this situation. All I know is that reading the story was heart breaking.....for anyone to freeze to death in their home is uncalled for when it could have been avoided all together.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i agree i actully just saw a camecial about a vet who knew about being cold in the war everything was frozen. guns, ground, men. all frozen then it shows him older at home with his wife and says " i never thought i would be cold in my own house" as hes putting a blanket on his wifes shoulders. due to the cost of heat. it was sad. and some people need xtra help. i donate 1.00 every month to help some one neighbor helping neighbor. and i have to struggle to pay my bill so i know its hard. and i feel for the vets they do there best and did the best. i saw that news about the older man freezing and it was heartbraken.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Sounds like a mix up of some kind.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree the neighbors or somone should have gotten over there to help I bet the power company will be in trouble
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• This is old news. Your just hearing about it? The guy had dementia. He probably forgot he didn't pay the bill. He had no  family or friends. I guess his neighbors were a** holes too. They never checked on him.

Answer by louise2 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009