Over eating at 3 yrs old.

My son never seems to get full. I just gave him an 8 oz cup of chocolate milk and large bowl of cereal because I know he will come asking for more if i give him a "normal portion". He ate less than half hr ago and now hes asking more cereal, I said no and now he's asking for apples (which I don't mind) but after the apple it will just continue. Its all day, everyday, that he's asking for food every second and then at dinner he doesn't want to eat. I make sure he eats dinner because he use to wake me up during the night saying he's hungry. I think he likes snacking more than anything. What can I do to regulate his diet more and fill him up, the first time? I don't want him growing up with this snacking habit or becoming over weight. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 3.5 and also wants to snack all day. She is not overweight but I am also concerned that she will learn bad habits for later. What I have been doing lately is designated a certain snack time. She will eat breakfast when she gets up, a snack at 10:00, lunch at 12:00, snack at 3:30 and then dinner. If she asks for food any other time I just tell her that it is not snack time. I think with some kids like to eat because it gives them something to do. I feel two snacks a day is plenty and if they are really hungry they will eat more at lunch or dinner. One thing that you might want to try is giving him oatmeal for breakfast versus cold cereal. It seems to fill them up faster.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 10:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Is he over weight? If hes not then I wouldnt worry about it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009