What's the cut off birthday date to start Kindergarten in your area?

Here you have to be 5 before the first of October I think but my friend lives in MA and her daughter won't be 5 until December but is starting Kindergarten this year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I live in MA and every town is different. In my town you have to be 5 by August 31. When I was growing up (in a different town) it was 5 by Dec 31. My birthday is Dec 19 so I started school at 4. I wasn't the youngest in my class though
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Children must be 5 on or before August 31st. There is an option to test them in early if their birthday is close to the cutoff. I considered it with my son, who missed by 6 weeks, but he was not ready socially. He's now almost 9 and still behind socially, but I now have a clearer reason why he just doesn't "get it" socially.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Here it is 5 before Sept 1.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Sept 15. either 4 or 5 depending on the program.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Sept 1st
    Moseley

Answer by Moseley at 10:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• In mine it just states that they have to turn 5 before the beginning of the school year. So, my oldest DD is one of the oldest in her class unfortunately (born on 9/30).

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• There are several districts in our area and it ranges from May 1 to August 1, but none later then August 1.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• @ DreainCO: my son is the same way. He starts 3rd grade tomorrow (YAY FINALLY!!!) and will be 9 in October.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• 5 by December 1st
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• August 31st here in NC. It was just changed to that from Oct 15 a few years ago, honestly I think it should be even earlier.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2012