Why is it so hard....

Why is it so hard for those who make over $60k a year to believe that there are those that are happy to survive on half that salary and actually be happy? I have run across more than one person (including my mil)who cannot believe that dh and i are actually HAPPY making between $30 -$40k a year! we have a modest lifestyle and it we don' t need to be making $100K a year!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on where you live. In some parts of the US you can't survive off of $30,000 a year. In other places, you are making bank with that kind of income. If you are happy, that's all that matters! Way to go you!!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I believe you can be happy. I was raised with alot of money and money doesnt make you happy. Only you can make you happy.

Answer by gemgem at 10:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I believe you can be happy, too, even on MUCH less than that. When I was growing up, we had NO money. My parents were farmers, artists, and activists (little money, less money, and NO money). We were poor but damn...we had so much fun. We made mud pies in the yard, played huge family games of hide & seek, and acted out plays together every night. It was a glorious childhood, despite the fact that one year my parents made a whopping $12,000...and supported 5 kids off of it, thanks to growing our own food and bartering with others in our community. Now, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. My husband makes a great deal of money. Money doesn't make you happy. You have to have happiness in your heart to really be happy.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Happiness is something you strive for. It is not about the numbers of zeros on your paystub. It's personal content(sp). There are those who require more to be happy and then those who requireless.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• no i agree that money does not make you happy ( starlee, our family did not have much growing up, but i know i had a better child than many of my friends and experienced more) but it is just that we are looked as being "poor" with making so "little" in their eyes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I know what you mean...there was a moment when I was in third grade when I overheard some girls talking...about ME and the fact that their mothers told them they should be nice to me because my family was poor. I remember thinking, "We're poor???" Up until that moment, I was blissfully ignorant of that fact. I went home and asked my parents if we were poor. They said, "There are people who have much less than we do." I now realize they were talking about the love and all the fun we had, but that was the moment when I realized that everyone thought we were poor.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 11:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I believe you can be happy no matter what you make. It's just that in today's society we're trained to think we need cell phones, video game systems, DVRs, blah blah blah... My family could probably live off of $40K a year if we cut out junk like that.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my fiance brings home around 24K a year and we have a baby on the way...we just know how to spend money...we only think about our needs..not really our wants..and we're happier than pigs in shit! =]
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 3:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• How does that song go?, "I hate those people who love to tell you money is the root of all that kills - they have never been poor, they have never felt the joy of a welfare Christmas..."

That's how I feel about it. DH and I don't make a lot, and don't need a lot. But there have been several times when the ends just didn't meet. The stress and worry is unbearable.

Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 3:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009