For those of you who had home births..

first of all i am NOT bashing anyone, I am just curious.
werent you afraid that something would go wrong? what if there was an emergency and complications that you needed medical attention for? what would have happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My first daughter was stillborn due to being wrapped in her umbilical cord. Until that happened, I thought a home birth sounded like a great idea. With my other two pregnancies I was induced two weeks early so that I could be at the hospital, hooked to the fetal heart monitor before I went into labor. THANK GOD we did this! It saved my youngest daughter's life. She was having distress during my contractions and her heart rate was dropping severely low every time. Had I labored at home, we would not have known this and she probably would have died before the doctor could deliver her.

I'm not trying to be hateful, but after living through these experiences, I feel having a home birth is naive and very dangerous! I pray my daughters will NEVER consider it as an option.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i think if an emergency came up, they go to a hospital. most women who have home births understand this risk, and don't want to deny themselves or their baby getting medical care. i personally have never heard of a home birth going terribly bad. if their pregnancy has been good, and no complications are expected, then a home birth seems to be a great choice for some women. no one would intentionally put their life or their child's life at risk.

MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Not afraid at all. I'm more afraid of the hospital and yes, I've had it both ways. If something life threatening did come up I'd be sick. SIck people go to a hospital. Birth is not a medical emergency and I wasn't sick so I had no reason to go. I had a wonderful birth and my baby was born healthier and more stable than my hospital born children.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• She was having distress during my contractions and her heart rate was dropping severely low every time. Had I labored at home, we would not have known this and she probably would have died before the doctor could deliver her.

Why? Midwives check heart tones and she would have sent you to the hospital. That's how it works with a homebirth. You don't just labor with no monitering.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughter had the internal monitor, which is much more accurate than external monitoring. Also, it didn't start happening until at the very end (like the last 15-20 min.) of my labor. Who knows whether we could have even made it to the hospital in time to save her life once we realized there was a problem? It's just not a risk I would be willing to take.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was at a birth center for my first..ended up being transported to the hospital for a "forced" csection. And yes, I believe it was forced. They gave me no options otherwise and the baby wasnt in distress at all. I am now prego with my 2nd and I am having a homebirth with my midwife. I think that anyone who states that having a homebirth is naive, are really just being naive themselves. I have done a lot of research on home and hospital births.....You should too if you havent. Midwives are very intellegent and are completely aware when something is going wrong and needs to be taken to the hospital. And as stated above, hopitals are for sick people..I am pregnant, not sick. To each their own. I believe in my body and I believe that homebirths are SAFER than hospital births. And that is MY OPINION.
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Most "complications" arise because of medical intervention. Supposdly the hospital "saved" my daughter in an emergency C section because her heart rate was dropping. BUT...I had an epidural and then pitocin (which makes contractions much harder on not only the mom but the baby) Most babies do go into distress with pitocin and other induction drugs. Then my water was broken. The epidural slowed down labor, so they upped the pitocin. A huge snowball effect and I was rushed to the C section room. It was unneccessary. Had I been more educated, I would have realized the moment I leave my home for the hospital when I've had a normal and healthy pregnancy, is the moment that I gave away a lot of my power as women part of a village of women who have been doing this since the beginning of time. Hospitals do not have a positive effect on birth in this country. They should be there to save babies and moms, not put them at risk.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009