Do Jehovah's Witnesses have any special funeral rites? Are non JW's allowed to go to their funerals?

My friend's mom is devout JW and is passing away. Any information would be appreciated, especially from JW's or former JW's.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Services take place in a funeral home or Kingdom Hall, the Jehovah’s Witnesses place of worship. There may or may not be an open casket. The Congregation Elder conducts the service and delivers a talk, which may be tape recorded. Cameras or video equipment, however, are not permitted. Guests who are not of this faith may participate in the service to the extent that they feel comfortable. At graveside, the scriptures are referenced and a prayer is read.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Yes, you can go to the funeral. You don't have to be a member of their congregation to grieve the loss of someone or support others in their loss. Every JW I have had experiences with have been very nice and not pushy (I realize my experience isn't everyone's). If she was very strong in her faith then I am sure the whole congregation would feel your support in the loss of their friend as well, and vice versa.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I am sure it will be fine. But why not call the Kingdom Hall and speek to someone and ask them any questions? Just frame the questions within the context that you want to support your friend but at the same time be respectful of their faith.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2012

• at the kingdom hall worship and funeral and all services are open to the public.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2012