Socialized medicine?

I watched the movie Sicko last night and Michael Moore made a good point. A lot of people in the US say socialized medicine would be bad because it wouldn't be a good idea to let the gov't run it. But don't we already have lots of other things that are run by the gov't? Such as: Fire Dept., Police dept., libraries, public schools, medicare and medicaid. I mean come on, the gov't already runs our lives in a lot of ways. We elect people who we THINK are gonna do right by us and in the end they are all crooks who are out for themselves. It was such a sad movie. There has got to be a better way. Any ideas what we could do?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While I agree with Michael Moore's points his tactics leave something to be desired.

I'm for this.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• yeah and look at how well they do with all those.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Have you ever had the pleasure of smelling a VA hospital or medicare-paid nursing home?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Good points. But, there still has to be a better way. And I personally blame who ever runs the smelly nursing homes for letting them get that way. If I ran a nursing home that was funded by the gov't I wouldn't let it be that way. I'm sure there are plenty of good nursing homes run by good people.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Check out the countries that have Socialized Medicine, and you'll think again about wanting it in the USA. The doctors are really lacking in education and experience.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Actually out of your list the Federal government only runs Medicare and Medicaid. The rest is run by state and/or local government.

About the only thing the Feds do mostly right is the military, but there is plenty of waste and inefficiency there too.

We have the best health care system in the world--no one can be turned away--why do we need to screw it up? And please don't buy into Moore's propaganda! He gives Goebbels a run for his money.
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 11:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Ok Ill explain this to you the way my dentist did to me. If you have socialized medicine then people like him who pay for their office equipment and charge by procedure would be put on a capped salary. That means the specialist you see for cancer is making the same as the person who treats head colds. They still have overhead to run their businesses but the surgeon who works 100 hours a week would make the same as the pediatrician who works 20 hours. That means people who can save us make less, which means theyll work less, and means less people will want to go into that field. It is not a good idea. My dentist said if it passes he will close up shop & go somewhere else where they dont have socialized medicine or just retire.

Answer by gemgem at 11:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I cannot take a thing Michael Moore says seriously.He is a lunitic.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• "And I personally blame who ever runs the smelly nursing homes for letting them get that way"

When Medicare only pays you enough to employ one nurse for every 9 patients instead of one nurse for every 3-4, you don't have a choice. If you made them not get that way, you would be bankrupt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Socialized medicine probably sounds great...until you need a major procedure and your insurance won't cover half the cost because they can no longer afford to do so, since they're now required to provide care to anyone and everyone.

A huge problem with socialized medicine is also the lack of supply to meet the demand. There aren't enough docs and nurses or medical professionals as it is; now throw millions of other people into the mix who are now seeking health care.

I'd rather see our tax dollars go into funding educational programs for these people; hire more teachers, open some more schools, and get more people into the field.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2009