Earplugs?

Kinda a messed up idea maybe? But would it be okay to put earplugs in my 14 month old DDs ears? I need them for two things. One, she always gets water in her ears when she is in the bath. I was thinking the earplugs could help reduce the amount of water that gets in. And second, and most important, she is an extremely light sleeper, like to a ridiculous extent. It has gotten to the point now where even if we walk up the steps while she is sleeping it wakes her up. And I cant live in this constant fear of "If I flush the toilet is she gonna wake up and be up all night again?!" Its really affecting both of us badly. I mean come on, a 14 month old should not have bags under her eyes that are worse than her moms lol. But seriously, could I try this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I was younger I got ear infections a lot so I used silly putty in my ears to keep the water out when I took a bath. It forms to your ear really well and no water gets in. Also it isn't gross to pull out or anything. It comes right out. As for ear plugs at night I think that would bother her more. Have you ever tried a radio in her room set on lullabies or a fan running. Something that may distract her from hearing everything else going on around her.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• For the water part I know that they have bands for kid's heads. Mostly for kids with tubes they use them and either earplugs or cotton with vasolene under the band. As for sleeping I I don't know what to tell you. Usually kids get used to sleeping with noise if you just let them when they are little. I know that we were never extremely quite when my niece was asleep and she sleep through a lot. Then with my other niece her parents always hushed everyone and she got used to it being quite and would wake up with any little noise. She has gotten better about that since she is two now. Good luck.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have tried every form of white noise known to man. Nothing works! Thats why I thought that if she cant hear at all maybe she would sleep. I dont know. I am just so tired of both of us being cranky and tired all day. Its one thing when just she is cranky. But when cranky mommy has to deal with cranky baby, its usually not a good day for either of us lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I am sorry that white noise is not working for her. Sorry I can't think of anything else but I hope someone can help you out.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I wouldnt recommend putting anthing into her ears that hasn't been approved for that purpose. I would check your local walgreens, near the ear care section i am sure there is some sort of plugs for when children go swimming. Those would probably work best. But no, I wouldn't put anything in her ears when she sleeps. Main reason, is if they fall out or she wakes up and is curious as to what is in her ears, she may pull them out and eat them. Or worse yet, she will get the idea to stick other things into her ears.

My son is a severly light sleeper. We purchased a 'white noise' machine on ebay. It works WONDERS. we live on a busy street which is also a truck route, so semi's come by all the time. we also live down the street from three elderly homes, so you can imagine how many ambulances go past. The white noise machine blocks all those out. We also use a humidifier in the winter, and small fan in the summer. They also help.
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Try Putty Buddies! THEY REALLY WORK!!

http://www.earbandit.com/puttybuddies.aspx
    momoftwinstwice

Answer by momoftwinstwice at 11:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Both of my daughters were light sleepers as babies until I purchased a 'Natural Noise Maker'. It has several noise options such as light rain, ocean waves, heart beat, white noise, etc.
    In addition to the noisemaker, I used the bathroom fan which had a humming sound and really seemed to help drown out noise.
    Good Luck!
    DivaTrio

Answer by DivaTrio at 11:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2009