• In the Spotlight:

c-section alone...

Has anyone ever gone through a c-section alone? My DH and I just found out my in laws both have to work on my section date, and are not available. We're not the type to just hire someone random to watch our kids either, so it's looking like he'll have to be home with the kids, then I can call him after surgery. I've gone through 2 before, so it's no big deal but he's been with me each time. We have no one else at this point to help us. Just hoping to hear experiences of those who "lived" through it w/o their so. Thanks!

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Awe.. Thats sad. You absolutely sure you can't find a sitter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I am sorry that both your in-laws have to work. Is there anyway for them to schedule it off or if it is an elective c-section could they change the day? I feel bad that you won't get to share the birth with your husband.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i've never done it completely alone, but i have done it without my spouse. my dh was deployed for the last two births (all were c-section) my very first daughter he was there, with baby #2 he was gone so i had a friend in there with me and with baby #3 i had my mom in there with me. its not easy without your spouse or signifigant other, but you do get through it. i would try to find out if the in-laws can either take the day off, your ask a friend even if they just sit in the waiting room until your dh is done. good luck with everything
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Could someone from your church watch the kids? Maybe AT the hospital???

Other than that my only suggestion is to hire a Doula. Doula's are there for the mom as a birth assistant whether you are having a natural birth, a vaginal birth or a c-section. That way you wouldn't have to be alone.

You can find some in training that will do it for little to no fee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Not to get you upset but your in-laws really shouldn't be so selfish. Can't they take a day off!!!!! It's one day, not a week!!!! This is very important!!!! C'mon now......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My first c-section was an emergency so my husband was unable to be in the room and I was knocked out. While I was going under there was a wonderful nurse that held my hand the entire time, but I can't lie I really wish my husband was there and he really felt bad about not being there as well. I really hope you are able to get someone you trust to watch the kids. Maybe a close friend?
    Anonymous

-------------------------------------------------------------
    My FIL Is an Iron Worker, and he's the head man there, and has to be there. MIL runs a consulting firm. The lady that works there as a temp. when there is no one else available is on vacation for 5 weeks in FL. My only other option is to schedule earlier than the 13th, but I don't want to cheat my baby out of being in there as long as possible. It's just a train wreck at this point. My OB is the most difficult man to get a hold of, so it's not like I can just find a back up out of no where. :/
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Maybe your husband could watch the kids at the hospital, that way he can see the baby right after its born and so can your kids. My friend had this similar situation and her husband was at the hospital with the 2 older kids so as soon as the baby was out a nurse brought her out to the nursery where daddy and the sisters could see her and hold her. Plus if something were to go wrong he would be right there and a nurse would be able to watch the kids in a emergency. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2009