father daughter relationship....

Are any of you single mothers but you still give your babies father regular visits and get along? How is the relationship between them? How is the relationship between you and the ex? I am going thru all of this right now and its just constantly awkward for him to visit....but the baby is only 4 months old so they don't really have that "relationship" yet, im just wondering basically how it affects your child to have to share holidays, share weekends, share everything??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Im sure i'm not the first to say, it sucks! My ex and i split up two years ago, when my son was almost 2 and my daughter 3. I cried alot initially. Sharing custody is hard, and at times, ackward. But the bright side is that my children get to experience holidays twice. At least, that is what i tell them when they are sad that they have to leave my house to go to a holiday event with daddy, or vice versa. Its even more ackward when you move on into a new relationship. But its not impossible. As your daughter gets older, their bond will grow. Its always hard for first time dads.

good luck :)
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• well, my daughter and her father don't have a strong relationship yet, she's only 13 months, and she knows he's her father, but they don't have a strong bond. She comes to me for everything.. he visits, but only when I'm here, because he lives with his mom (long story about problems with his mom). Holidays were pretty rough this year, but hopefully, when she's a little older, things will develop more between them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I am going through the same thing right now. I have daughters 5 and 9 and my husband and I have been seperated since about June of last year, by his choice. I cry a lot still and wish that things could be fixed. I had 2 step daughters also that it is killing me not to have them in my life right now. We have been married going on 11 years and this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. He had a relationship with another woman right after the break up and says that it is over and he doesn't want a relationship with anyone but his girls now, since it supposdly did not work out with her. I try to be nice all the time and that seems to be getting me in more trouble than good. My oldest does not really want to be with her father except when I am with them, but the younger one is fine with things. I know he loves them, but a husband and a father he has not really been, even to the other two in a long time.
    suthrn

Answer by suthrn at 1:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• From the kid's perspective:

My parents had split custody and I was fine with it. I had Christmas, Birthday, Thanksgiving, Easter - all the good holidays twice!!! I had TWO bedrooms full of stuff and TWO wardrobes.

Basically, as long as my parents were getting along I didn't ever suffer from their split. There were times they fought, times I was thrown in the middle - but mostly no complaints.

My Dad and I were closer than I've ever been with anyone. It takes time to develop a relationship with Dad, but it's sacred for little girls. It's in your daughter's best interest to support that relationship.
    Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 3:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009