Is it wrong of me?

I have been BFing my daughter sence she was born (1m) but the last few days she has NOT wanted my breast I have tried EVERY time she is hungry and she does not want it. I bought a pump so I could at least give the milk to her in a bottle but when I pump (which is when she would normally eat every 2hrs) I only get 1 ounce at a time. And that is off both breast total. So My ? is is it wrong to stop pumping and just give her formula when I am just not getting much. I mean 1oz is 1/4 of what she eats when she eats formula (which I have had to do a few times the last few days) she eats somewhere between 3-4oz.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no its not wrong I had the same problem make sure there isdn't something going on with her health but babies go through nursing strikes...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you want to keep breastfeeding as well as giving her formula then nurse her first and then try the formula if she still seems hungry. If you are not producing much milk you can call your doctor also and see what may be going on.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• they get used top the bottle, because it's easier to pull from. I did not give my daughter a bottle at all becuase i feared this. But no, she has to eat. Formula is fine, she did get to at least breastfeed for a lil while.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Also, you cant take herbal supplements that will increase your milk flow. What i meant up there was, they get used to the bottle because it's easier for them to pull milk from. So some babies may prefer it over the boob.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You should get in touch with a lactation consultant. I wouldn't give up that easily.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I didnt give her a bottle until she stopped talking the breast. And I am still pumping even though I am not getting much so she gets that before she gets the formula but it is just so much work for such a little amount and I have 2 toddlers too. It is just hard to pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was in the EXACT same boat - I agree with Autumn 22. Call the lactation people at the hospital where your baby was born. They'll be very helpful. The most important thing is to relax. My doctor said that part of why my milk just shut off was because I was WAY too stressed out about not producing enough. Nerves do crazy things to your body.
    Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 12:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• No it's not wrong. If you want to continue breast feeding try pumping after you feed, store that milkd and combine it later for a bottle, when she takes that bottle make sure you pump so it's not like you're missing that feeding. Another thing you can do to up your milk supply is try Fenugreek Herbal Supplements. It worked for me and helped me to produce enough milk to continue feeding my now 5 month old... Good Luck let me know how things work out for you
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 1:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I suggest that you pump and give her that and then feed her a bottle of formula. I know its a lot of work but I have been and one long journey myself with breast feeding. I too did not produce enough and I had to nurse then pump out what she did not get then supplement with a formula bottle. I was put on donperidone to increase my milk supply. (it doubled) and I now nurse her as much as possible and suppliment her a bottle when I know Im empty. I supplement her 2 to 3 formula bottles a day. My daughter is now 51/2 months old. I also suggest that if you supplement with formula you look into orgainc formula it is very close to breast milk. walmart has a generic, and similac makes one too.
    hope this helps. let me know
    Myasmama

Answer by Myasmama at 1:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Please call a lactation consultant. Babies do go on "nursing strikes," which don't harm them, but you need to do what you can to keep your supply up in the meantime. What kind of pump are you using? I could barely get anything out with a manual pump, but with my double electric would get 9-11 ounces---the type of pump can make a HUGE difference! Good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2009