My husband is training in MMA and he thinks that its cool to teach or 14 month old how to fight! Though he works 10 hour days I am home with him all day so when he comes and hits me are kicks me how should I disapline him?When I tell him no he laughs and when I smat his diaper he laughs?

jyssi1557

Asked by jyssi1557 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He wants your attention and like most young kids doesn't care if it's negative attention or positive attention.
    Do you still have a playpen? If so, set it up, don't put any toys in it. When he does this, plop him in the playpen, tell him firmly "NO HITTING", and turn your back on him. You don't have to leave his sight but do not interact with him at all, no eye contact, no talking, nothing. Leave him there for a minute then pick him up and hug him and say "Hitting someone is wrong. It hurts. Let's find something fun to do instead." Don't use his crib for this. His crib should be a calm, happy place for sleeping.
    As he approaches 18 months, you can lengthen it to 1.5 mintues, then 2 minutes at 2 years, etc.
    Be consistent and he'll get it. Then he'll start testing to see if you really mean it. : )
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• While I do believe that a spanking is ok in certain situations, this would never be one of them. I feel this way because I think it is hypocritical and confusing to spank (which is the same as hitting in a toddler's eyes) as a punishment for hitting. I think what kaycee recommends in this situation would be the best form of a punishment for a 14 month old.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee14, with my DD I put her in the corner and make her stand there for 1minute and I then tell her we don't hit you need to be gentle.
    Anonymous