How to prevent gaining too much weight during pregnancy?

I gained 55 pounds during previous pregnancy which is too much for me as I am just 5' 4" tall. now I again pregnant and don't want to gain too much this time. And at the same time I have to eat well for my baby. I don't eat junk food. Any suggestions please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't eat just because you're pregnant. I've made a conscious effort this time around not to eat unless I'm actually hungry - I'll stop after I've eaten one serving and ask myself if I'm still hungry, and if the answer's yes then I'll have some more, and if the answer's no then I'll stop. I know it's easy to use pregnancy as an excuse to eat (I did with my first), and that's the best thing I've figured out to stop it.

And exercise, of course. Even just a 20-30 minute walk after dinner (or lunch this time of year, it's probably too cold after dinner) will help a lot.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Get out and burn some calories. That was my big mistake. I gained almost 50 with my baby and I'm 5'1". I ate okay, I just didn't get enough exercise.

Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 11:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes to working out. I will have a home gym or gym membership by next pregnancy. I got so lazy and when I wasn't working I just sat on the couch. Now I know pregnancy isn't an excuse.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Exercise and portion control
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Right now I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I've only gained 3lbs. I started out a bit overweight which contributed to some of that. However, I do exercise restraint when it comes to portion control. If I snack between meals I make sure it is something healthy like fruit or dry cereal. Then, at meals I just make sure I only eat a single portion of food. I may still feel hungry at the time but if I wait 10 min. or so it goes away. I almost always need a snack later but like I said, I just make sure that it's something healthy rather than chips or cookies or something. Another thing is that I cut out sugar. First thing to go was soda. It's all about the water and if I really need something with flavor I'll grab an iced tea. If I need something sweet I'll grab some fruit and yogurt. Everyone is different so this may not work the same for you as it did for me but it's what has helped me this time around. EXERCISE IS A MUST!
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• uh don't eat so much and get exersize!!
    Anonymous

• Everyone is different. I'm 5'3" and I've gained 43lbs, but I don't look it. I'm all belly. My doctor is pleased with my weight gain because I started underweight (92lbs).
    I'm 38w4d and I'm sure I'll gain another pound or two. Don't stress. Just eat everything in moderation. Pregnancy is not the time to be counting calories and freaking about working out!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009