this might sound like a dumb question..

every body is talking about middle class, so i was wondering what it is? Like how much do you have to make to be considered middle class?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It can also refer to that step between true poverty (living on disability or welfare) and being "middle calss" - the group that lives paycheck to paycheck, doesn't qualify for benefits, but can't afford to save.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The middle class is more than an income bracket. Over the past fifty years, a middle-class standard of living in the United States has come to mean having a secure job, a safe and stable home, access to health care, retirement security, time off for vacation, illness and the birth or adoption of a child, opportunities to save for the future and the ability to provide a good education, including a college education, for one’s children. When these middle-class fundamentals are within the reach of most Americans, the nation is stronger economically, culturally and democratically.
    http://www.themiddleclass.org/node/164

Answer by gemgem at 11:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Honestly, it depends on where you live. $30k/yr where I am will get you a house. $30k/yr in CA and you're homeless.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We earn 42,000 a year. Where I live middle class would be around half that because the cost of living is low. If I lived in a city Id be poor. Middle class is hard to define. Basically it means you have money to pay your bills, save for your kids college, save for retirement, have a secure job, etc etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• That is not a stupid question, I have often wondered the same thing.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 12:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think if you start with what the Govt. considers the poverty line for a family of 4, here is 26K, above that starts "middle class". As far as the upper limits I do not know that I have ever really seen documented what the number was.
    Middle class, I agree, is mostly a state of mind. Some people can live on 26K and some cannot live on 100K.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers.
    Not in this case, though, all the previous answers are great!
    colette365

Answer by colette365 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I also think it completely depends on where you live. We live in NC and we live comfortably. If we were to move someplace else say...I don't know, Maine where my parents live, there is no way we would be able to afford even the property taxes! Food is more expensive there, gas, (if you rent your house) rent...I could go on and on. I personally think it depends on where you live. **And its not a stupid question!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• so i was stated that hubby makes 46,000 in a year and some on said that it was working class.

so what is working class?
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Working class usually refers to blue collar workers, not an income level.
    Anonymous