Home schooling?

does any one on here home school and is it really expensive? and do you have to me a genius to home school??

the reason that i am asking is because of how public schooling is going down the toilet. i would like to know what my options are.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I homeschooled for 2 and a half years with my now 11 year old and 16 year old. I went thru a program called K12 it is free and they supply you with books and a curriculum. Check to see if they are in your state. It is a great program. My children just started back to public school the start of the new semester. They were way ahead of the Arizona Public Schools which isnt saying much. I want to take them out of it but the kids miss having time with other kids. My daughters highschool has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state. I about fell over when she told me that! *eek*
    Lovebama

Answer by Lovebama at 1:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I homeschool one this year. Next year I will be homeschooling two, and the year after that 3. Its not hard. I am in college but I always have been pretty patient with the kids. You can get your own curriculum if you want to but I buy ours from Jubilee. They have support there so if I get stuck or the kids do I have a live person to help me through. Its also generally accepted by every state as far as curriculum goes. It isnt THAT expensive but it does cost money. I pay around $1500 a year to homeschool one child. That includes curiculum, supplies, social programs like little league and the occasional field trip/

Answer by gemgem at 11:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We were a homeschooling family for our 24 & 17 yr old, & will homeschool our 2 & 3 yr old when the time comes. Home schooling doesn't have to be expensive. You can find used supplies and books and the local libraries and community colleges have lots of free resources. You don't have to be a genius to home school, but it helps to be disciplined and consistent. You'll have a blast and you'll never regret the time spent with your children. You can PM me if you have any other ???

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you had to be a genius to homeschool, then why don't they require our teachers to be geniuses? Its a very reachable goal and one that I wish more parents would consider. Get with some of these homeschooling groups. They are very knowledgeable of the process. This is my kids last year in public school and the only reason I have let them stay so long is that we are in a very conservative school system.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• No you do not have to be a genius to homeschool. We have always homeschooled our kids (they are now in 3rd and 2nd grade and a toddler). I was homeschool too by a working single mom. It is possible and you don't have to had a genius IQ. All you have to do is really care about your child's education.

It is as expensive or as cheap as you make it. We spent about $200 this year on school supplies, books (teacher's editions too, because I am far from a math genius), etc. Check out some of the homeschooling groups here on Cafemom, they can really help you a lot. Happy Homeschoolers is one of the best (I love that group!). Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Homeschooling can be done on a pretty limited budget, you just need to be aware that if you're getting all your resources secondhand, some information might be out of date, and you might want to supplement the info found there with internet research. The internet also has TONS of free online sites games to teach grammar, phonics, math, science, etc.

If you're interested in homeschooling from a non-religious point of view, I have a group for secular homeschoolers.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I've homeschooled for 6 years, and spend maybe $50-$100 a year on actual curriculum. I use the library frequently, borrow from other homeschoolers, buy it used, or get it free from homeschooling or teacher friends.

I do spend money on art supplies, pencils and paper, music lessons, etc, but that is about the same as I would spend if my kids were in public school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I home-school my 8th grader. Aside from ink and paper for printing out worksheets, I haven't spent anything. I use the internet, the library, and television (there's great documentaries!). There is a group on here that has links to curriculum. Just look for the one that has Home-school and Curriculum in it's name.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009