Lead?

My sons doctor just called me and said he has high levels of lead in his blood!
I live in an older house that's being redone. Are there kits so I could check his toys and other stuff at home? How will this affect him and what do I do?
Could the state take him away from me? Should I look for a new place to live?! Help any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Health

• It's the dust in the air and on everything from the house. If you can go somewhere else with him until it's redone, do so. But other than that...make sure to clean up as much of the dust as you can constantly.

Keep him away from the rooms being redone, do one room at a time if you can. Keep plastic over the doorway if possible to keep the dust contained.

Watch for paint chips and such...it's not so much that he'll eat them (which...well..is possible though) but if he handles them, puts the chip down then puts his hand in his mouth...exposure.

The doctor will retest and monitor his levels. Lead poisoning (very high levels) can cause developmental issues...but it's not like an elevated level for a brief time will do it. Just be proactive and keep track of what's going on...and try to limit his exposure.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes there are kits but I really don't think it's the toys. It probably is from living in an older home. I would move. Hope your son will be OK.
    Anonymous

• my sisters son had the same thing when he was like two or three. We lived in an older home as well. I think the health dept came and took paint samples to be tested. Call the health dept and see what you can do. And no, they wont take him away.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Lead is a scary thing, it can cause developmental problems if it is high for long periods of time. we are also doing our house right now an dour house is pretty darn old as well. we are only doing one room at a time though and when we are tearing anyything out or wee know there will be a lot of dust baby goes somehwere else.. even if you ae tearing out old wallpaper... our public health nurse gave us a ton of info on it.. they on't tkae your kid away but they may give you a bunch of info on lead other than just paint etc.. in your home it can be int he soil in your back yard and a bunch of other places you wouldnt normally think ti would be. I donm't really know what else to tlal you just take yor lo to the doctor and figure out what you can do about your lead situation..
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 2:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Lead can cause alot of problems. It is not quickly eliminated from the body, and can build up for years. Children and pregnant women should not live in a house while lead paint is being removed and should only return when all traces of lead paint and lead dust have been cleaned up. Professionals should determine when lead dust is at a safe level. This is according to the Yale website I have listed below. It contains some great information:

http://www.ynhh.org/pediatrics/prevention/sources_lead.html#sources_lead
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009