Homeschooling Kindergartner

My son just started Kindergarten and likes his class but often I realize that the work thats sent home is too advance. On the first week of school their was a worksheet for my son to learn how to count from 1 to 100. Then the second week from 1 to 20. Everyday they do a different letter instead of taking time to focus on the letter over a period of time. When I review my sons work with him after he's done it and his teacher sends it home, he doesn't know what it is. My son is very intelligent, but I don't think that the teachers method of teaching is whats best for him. I live in an area where the schools are pretty bad. I used to live here when I was a child but things were not as bad as they are now. Prior to my son attending Kindergarten I taught him at home because I work nights. He knew his alphabet, how to write and spell his name to count and other things prior to enrolling in elementary school. However I want him to continue to advance but I don't see it happening with the curriculum. I want often to go to his class and sit in but I work nights and its hard enough getting him up for school at times. I plan to relocate to a better area before he starts 1st grade, but I don't know if it is a good idea to pull him out of kindergarten. He doesn't seem to be mixing well with the other kids because he only talks about the ones at his sitter, never any classmates. He has told me no one plays with him and hes even come home with his clothes full of dirt because he was 'shoved down in the playground.' Im on the fence because I don't want him to miss out but I also don't want this poor excuse for what this county calls an education be his downfall.

If I had a negative attitude ladies I wouldn't be pushing more for him to stay read the sentences correctly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2012 in

• First since he is already enrolled you may have an issue with taking him out and switching to homeschooling depending on your state. Personally I would continue to teach him at home and let him have the experience of being at school. Our kids have only been in school for a week so I would not expect them to talk about the kids there yet or to have friends. Depending on how long school has been in session he just may not have bonded with the other children yet. As for getting pushed down on the playground I would speak to the school about that. Just because he is at school does not mean you can't teach him at home also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I think you need to talk to his teacher, having the social aspect of kindergarten is pretty important,, I think you could work in conjunction with the teacher.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Being pushed down on the playground, and not having anyone to talk to at school is an issue, and you should address it with the teacher. However, I'm very confused as to the other stuff. If you taught him his alphabet at home and he could count at home, then I do not understand how or why he would struggle with these things at school. It seems to me the issue would not be struggling, but if anything, being bored. I homeschool my kids - so trust me, I am not a huge fan of public schools as they are at the current time. But it seems that you might just be looking for an excuse to pull him. Maybe his seeming social ostracization has you on edge and you want to pull him to protect him from that? If so, then it's important to remember it takes time to make new friends, and school hasn't been in for very long yet. Give it time, let him find his own way to be comfortable and start making friends.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• But do address the playground and such with the teacher, so that that much can be avoided.

As far as pulling him to homeschool, this is not a rash decision to make. You need to investigate your state's laws in regard to how and when you can homeschool. Most states, at a very minimum, require you to send a notice of intent, and you would need to find out where to send that, what it should say, and things like that. Teaching him at home just to help advance his education is one thing. Teaching him at home as his entire education is very different, and you need to take time to research, thoroughly investigate and familiarize yourself not only with the laws, but the methods of homeschooling, his learning style, what he needs to know in order to seamlessly integrate back into public school if you intend to have him return one day.

Please, take some time to really look into this before you do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• woah woah. Calm down. I have no negative attitude towards him attending public schooling. I don't care for the area yes, but the other issues were brought to my attention by others; his babysitter and my mom. School has been in session for quite a while were I live at but besides the fact of that, and him being pushed down and his bonding with the other kids, I have spoken with his teacher. It is my son who has an issue with it. Talk about high strung\.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• My point of stating that they work on a new letter every day is to state that they dont take time for the children to familiarize themselves so when he gets to something he doesn't know there will be issues.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Ummm...are you referring to me as high strung?

Excuse me, but telling you to check into your state's laws and do some research is not high strung. It's called giving you a bit of advice to keep your butt out of jail for allowing your kid to be truant by not following the laws. It's called giving you a heads up that homeschooling isn't going to solve all your problems.

High strung is the mother who comes online when school's been in session a few weeks all upset because her baby hasn't made friends yet and wanting to yank him.

And your story makes no sense - if he already knows his alphabet, what does he need to familiarize himself with when they do a letter a day? How familiar does he need to be to learn things he doesn't know? There's always going to be something he doesn't know - that's why it's called education, to learn what you don't know.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I homeschool my kindergartner, but it is something I have planned for the past 5 years. I didn't just jump into it over night. I like home-educating. I'm a product of homeschool. But, it is not a walk in the park. I have very challenging days with him sometimes.

If you are sincere about homeschooling, try doing the research and checking your state's Home School laws (HSLDA). You'll need to find a curriculum you like and can afford. There are set curriculum's you can buy from publishers or you can go the eclectic route, like we do.

You will need to be mentally dedicated and have the 4 hours required time daily to teach and train him. It takes dedication and love for your home and child. It can be done, but it needs proper planning. If you really want to do it, you can. Make it a goal to start him next semester. Good luck.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2012