How on EARTH do you get your 2 year old to listen to you?!?!?!?! ***HELP PLEASE***

My little girl can be quite the handful must of the time, and does not listen well at all, What do you do to make them listen? What punishment is appropriate? Any ideas would be must helpful...thank you :-)

LBZinski

Asked by LBZinski at 12:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stand firm! do not back down! when they are teenagers it will be worse!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• well i read a article in a baby magzine that says you have to get eye level with them and punishment i would try either by taking there favorite toy away to time out and they cant move or anything and trust my daughter has that strong attitude too and it drives me nuts sometimes and when she knows shes done something wrong she'll say I Love You, TOO ...its increible
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• At the age f 2 I do the 5 min time out.... it might be on the couch or in a conner or sitting at the table.... 5 mins and I tell them what it's for before and after the 5 mins... Cira hit Kody.... Cira you hit Kody 5 min time out.... she normally will go to the conner herself.... Then when 5 mins is up I say again Cira you hit Kody, and I ask her to please say she's sorry and she dose... It works the best... I like it cause I don't believe in spanking.
    mommyOfours

Answer by mommyOfours at 1:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Sorry to say but I firmly believe in spankings. My 2 YO is a great listener because she doesn't like spankings. She has her defiant moments but after a spanking she listens.
    Anonymous

• We use time out and it has always worked with her, she has been well behaved since she was very little. So no offense but I think you have to start behavior "training" much younger then two when kids start to get a little more rambunctious.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Sorry to say but I firmly believe in spankings.... my 2 alomst 3 yr old... i tell her do you want a bop bop? she'll say o if she does it again... i will get up and she will stop... if then doesnt stop u sed to "bop bop" her... and she would go back some times... now i find she hates the corner more... if she is really bad she will get a "bop bop" and the corner.... alot of people and mt fam and friends say im too hard on her and that she is olnt 2... haha it may be true sometimes... but she does what i say for he most part... and she doesnt act out in publice.... she is a great listener.... for the most part... then again she is 2////
    Anonymous

• I spank my son. (Apparently this isn't so rare) I don't BEAT him. Just a nice firm pat on the bottom. I do give him 2 warnings, his dad gives him one. But in the end, he knows he will get spanked if he does something he's not supposed to. No kid does. I always tell him what he did wrong, and why hes getting a spanking. (Ex. I told you once not to get into the garbage, do it again and you'll get a spanking.)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• "Navymama",

I have been working on her behavior, I am not just starting..... I just feel like what I am doing or have been trying is no longer working and needed some kind of input from other Mothers that have a toddler at this age. I think I am going to try the time out, not sure if she'll sit there nice though.... But shes not a bratty child, she just 2 she is very good out in public and great with other people, it's just Mommy and Daddy, not sure why but I hear that's how it is.... Thanks everyone for your input.
    LBZinski

Answer by LBZinski at 12:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I count to 4 and if she choose to continue her tantrum I place her in the coroner and she can throw her fit in the coroner. Isabella is 21 months. Now it's at the point where I snap my fingures and she kinda jumps knowing I am getting ready to count. she will test me expecially latley with me being back home but no matter where I am there is always a coroner and I always have my fingures to count. I simply ingore her tantrums and when she's done she can come out. I also been told by my peditrition to put in in time out when she is getting to the point where I start to feel frustrated it's a time out for myself and my child.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009