When/ How do you start introducing your babies to baby food.

My twins are going on 3 1/2 months, and i'm starting to look forward to starting baby foods, so i like to get info early =) At 4 months I believe you can start with rice cereal? But how often and how much? Also, to what consistency? I'm going to see the ped on Tuesday, but i like to ask the other moms too, cuz sometimes they know better ;)

KeikoRose

Asked by KeikoRose at 12:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• four months is a general rule, but you'll want to customize that to your babies. If they keep spitting the cereal out then they're not ready. I started my son at four months and he wasn't ready. So I tried every week until he was. He started regularly eating it at five months. Start with a very thin consistency twice a day.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i started mine on baby food at like four or five months she didn't like the cereal so it was straight to fruits at first i did it three times a day a few spoonfulls at a time and only use one kind and wait a few days to make sure there are no food allergies
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh I forgot, use one table spoon of dry cereal mixed with breast milk or formula.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't do baby food until 6 motnhs which is what is recomended. I either mash a banana or avacado with some breastmilk and feed it to my baby. I don't do cereal
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• honey (to OP) only you are going to know when your child is ready and handeling the food that you are giving them go with your instinct. it will be fine
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Well all of the doctors say 4 months. Though I have a 14 month old and a 4 month old. My 4 month already takes the first step baby foods. I believe that if they are able to eat it off the spoon it will not hurt. I started my 14 month old on baby food at 4 months and he loved it and was not over weight and be ate it off a spoon. So I really believe that if your baby will eat it then he or she will be great. You know that back in the 1800's and people where having babys they did not have what we had these days and they all turned out good.
    jyssi1557

Answer by jyssi1557 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I started introducing my 3 month old to the stage 1 baby foods because I knew the first couple of times you give it to them they really won't swallow much they pretty much just practice to see what it feels like having something totally different in their mouth. After he turned 4 months old he started really swallowing the whole spoon full everytime. I tried the putting cereal in the formula thang and didn't really see how it helped or hurt my baby with spitting up or getting full faster or anything. It did nothing. I do like to put the cereal in his baby food though. It helps him to get used to different texures in the mouth and keeps him from getting bored with the same old thing. Always start them out on vegetables not fruit though because you are setting your child up for a lifetime of always eating the sweets first.
    bedtimebearmom

Answer by bedtimebearmom at 1:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I started my baby girl on rice cereal at 5 months. I gave her 1 teaspoon of cereal mixed with 4 teaspoons of formula. I gave it to her about 2 hours after her first bottle of the day. Every couple of days I would increase the cereal and put less milk with it. I also started oatmeal and barley after she had the hang of rice cereal. About a week of just cereal I started with sweet potatoes. I would give her one veggie or fruit at a time and wait 3 days before I would give her a different one. She's just about 6 months now and has mastered all stage one baby food flavors. I also make my own too. She loves avocados. I now give her cereal with fruit mixed in the morning and in the evening I give her a veggie.
    kaosgirly8403

Answer by kaosgirly8403 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The AAP recommends no sooner then 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009