Teacher's behavior at school

Question about a teacher's behavior at my 3 year olds preschool. The school has 15 teachers, One of which is a grandma of one of the kids. This morning I dropped off my DD and the teacher came in yelling at her grandson as him and his friend were slamming doors. She pushed her grandson into a chair and started yelling at him. I feel it's a little bit of a weird dynamic with the grandma being her grandson's teacher, but I was a little concerned to see a teacher do this. I don't know whether I should question how she treats the rest of the kids. I don't think she realised I was in the classroom when she did this as I was trying to settle my DD in as she didn't want to go into school this morning and she looked terrified when the teacher was yelling

Catfree

Asked by Catfree at 1:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2012 in

• I don't think her behavior is acceptable, you should speak to the principal.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 1:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I agree it is not acceptable behavior and you can only imagine what happens when you aren't there...I would speak out too!

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I would address the issue. She should be treating her grandson no differently than any other child so I would be concerned at her behaviour

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• regardless of the relationship, she is at work and other children see her actions and hear them.
    I would have gone straight to the director
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Ask your DD about how she feels about her teachers.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• She probably won't treat the other kids like that, but it still isn't right. Every time I'm at a baseball game for my boys, I can pick out immediately who the coach's son is by who he is yelling. at. I'm sure they don't realize they are doing it, but it always happens.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Just speak to someone about it, and have your daughter switch teachers.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Thanks everyone. The teacher is actually the asst director too and that's what surprised me most. I don't think she knew I was in the room when she did it.
    Catfree

Comment by Catfree (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Wow, seems like you might at the very least clarify their policies on how children are to be treated, what teachers do and don't do when addressing behavior (as a matter of school policy, at least...), so that you are clear on that. And also communicate that you saw this incident and it concerns you. Particularly if it is against the expressed policy (and I certainly hope it is.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• report her to the district office, if you don't get an appropriate response let them know you're going to the state office and do it....and let them know you'll go federal and public (tv, radio etc) and pull up the laws of all levels and quote the laws to them in the process....they jump trust me, I've done it
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 12:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2012