I think (hope) my cousin learned his lesson (funny)

So my cousin called the other day. He has 18 month old twins that climb EVERYTHING. Girl twin was asleep in her crib, and Boy twin was playing on the floor in the living room. He thought it would be safe enough for him to step outside to have a cigarette (not touching that one). While outside smoking he hear a loud thump/crash. He didn't think much of it at the time, just thought Boy twin had gotten into the pans under the stove; the babies like to do that.

He finished his cigarette and walked inside, only to find Boy twin ON the table, covered in blood and the glass vase in the center of the table (fake flowers) broken. My cousin panicked a little. After he got Boy twin cleaned up, changed, and all the blood cleaned up, he found the ONLY thing wrong with his son was a SMALL cut on his thumb. It took 3-4 band-aids to finally get the bleeding to stop. Boy twin kept taking them off.

I think my cousin called me to see what MY reaction would be, before he told his other half about it. Either way it was a scary incident, but the baby is FINE. I couldn't help myself. As soon as my cousin told me how "bad" the injury was I started laughing.

Anyone else gone through something like this? Scary at first but after a few hours/days/weeks you were able to laugh about it? I have, with BOTH my kids.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 2:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DS was the walker climber and were in a hotel room. I was sewing thelast details on his outfit for DH's sister's wedding. He is traveling along the outer edge of the bed (feet on the floor) and then he wasn't but there was no sound so neither DH or I were concerned when he started crying. Blood everywhere. Pooring out of his mouth can't stop it and rush to emergency where they look rince ice pack look and see the tinyest cut where his 3 little teethhad cut his tongue.
    I thought I was going to have a heart attack after it was all over. (I am fairly cool during the crisis) but this was my baby!

lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• It has been a year now, but my DD stuck her finger in the vent holes on the oven (it wasn't on). We were getting ready to run some errands. Well the metal oven vents are sharp. She was standing right behind me while I was washing my hands at the sink. She told me that the stove om nomed her finger. I figured she did something, but nothing as bad as it was. This kid needed stitches and I didn't have time to go the ER and sit and wait for hours. I got the bleeding stopped and then super glued her finger together (per ped instructions) and followed up with them 2 days later. The ped was quite impressed with the job I did of putting her back together. She hasn't done it since. I think she learned her lesson. Just b/c we see a hole doesn't mean we put our fingers in it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• nothing is coming to mind right now, but i immediately thought of the time a toddler (babysitting in highschool) climbed on top of the tv (80s, they were still in the wood cabinetry, if you recall) and i had gone to the bathroom. i came out to find him sitting on top of the cabinet, eating a red pillar candle. he was going to town on the wax. lol.
    i had no idea he could climb up, with nothing next to the tv to help. little monkey, he was!
    i told his mom about it after she came home and how i was really having to watch him, afraid he would hurt himself on something.
    she just laughed and said, ''well, if he fell off, he'd learn not to do that again!''
    ?????
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• your cousin is stupid.. I need to leave my kid just to smoke.. blah!.. stupid!! I hope his wife let him have it!    going crazy

ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• So I may be alone on this... (& I'm glad the kid was ok) but, you hear a loud crash knowing your child is by himself. You decide to finish your cigarette first. Then you check on him? I mean, yea I guess he wasn't crying so he must've been fine. Ooorr he could've had a severe head injury knocking him unconscious? But I mean. I'm not trying to take away from the funny... But I'm pretty sure time is essential to things like that.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 3:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2012