Financial Aid for college...Hubby told me no, what do I do?

Ok, I applied to go to college in December and I have just started...I'm really proud of myself and hubby is proud of me too.
Anyway, I told him about the costs and everything related to college. I applied for financial aid and received a little bit But most of it is in loans. When I told hubby that the only way was for me to have loans taken out, he told me there was no way in hell I was going to go to college unless i got grants and scholarships.
I did it anyway, now how do I explain it to him?
I really want to go to college and be able to get into a career that I enjoy and not work some dead end job for the rest of my life, and the best part is that I will graduate when my youngest starts elementary school...
So any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Get a job to pay the loans.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Explain to him that while it sucks to have to take out loans, they don't have to be paid until after you graduate, and then both of you should be in a much better financial situation because you will have a better job! I'm proud of you too. I just started in December myself, and while all of my tuition and stuff was covered with grants, I had to take out loans for living expenses. The only difference is that I am not married, so I don't have anyone telling me no. He just needs to understand that in the end your lives will be better because of it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Eirelass...the loans I have now are the stafford loans, I don't have to pay on them till 6 months after I graduate, thus giving me time to get a good paying job in my field. the problem is my husband told me that I could not go to school if I had to pay for it. I registered anyway and got the loans for this year.
    Anonymous

• Why did your husband say you can't go to school if you get loans?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I guess I don't understand a man telling a grown woman what she can and can-not do if it is not illegal, not harmful to the home, and not immoral. You've answered the question with paying back the loans after you graduate. If you don't go to school now, per his instructions, where will you be in 5 years? Still not in school, and hating him for it. Do it for you and secondly for your family.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• There are websites you can go to to apply for grants and scholarships...i cant remember what their called...but you can find them online...

(i finished college lastyear)
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 3:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• fastweb.com has tons of scholarship info on it and it is all free!! Of course they bombard you with ads, but most high school counselors will recommend that you try that website out first.

Congrats on going to college- but if you can, try to stay out of debt. Good luck :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009