Financial Aid for college...Hubby told me no, what do I do?

Ok, I applied to go to college in December and I have just started...I'm really proud of myself and hubby is proud of me too.
Anyway, I told him about the costs and everything related to college. I applied for financial aid and received a little bit But most of it is in loans. When I told hubby that the only way was for me to have loans taken out, he told me there was no way in hell I was going to go to college unless i got grants and scholarships.
I did it anyway, now how do I explain it to him?
I really want to go to college and be able to get into a career that I enjoy and not work some dead end job for the rest of my life, and the best part is that I will graduate when my youngest starts elementary school...
So any suggestions?
I forgot to add in my other question that my dad said he would help pay back the loans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Well he shouldnt be acting like youre a child who needs his permission to get a college loan.You tell him you want this and in the end itll make you more marketable and worth more employment wise and you will pay the loans with the money you will be making.

Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• tell him you can work off the loan amount with a program like Americorp(s?) . They even pay you a stipend while you are working off what you owe. That makes no sense to me but that's what they offer. Sweet deal. You could still put in for grants and scholarships each year.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You can't work off very much with Americorps. I think the above poster is confused about what Americorps is. It's a great program, but isn't something folks go into to pay off their loans, because it doesn't work that way. I used to be on the Board so know a lot about it. Here's how it works: You give a year of full-time service, and you are eligible to receive an education award of $4,725 to go towards paying off student loans as long as you're going to a qualified school. If you give another year of full-time service (40 hrs/week), you can get another award, but the maximum is 2. The award IS taxable income and it is paid directly to your school or the loan company. While you work full-time, you'll get a small stipend. Not much at all. In the community I lived in, Americorps workers made $300 a month, full-time, but they also got housing. The stipend money is also taxable income. (continued)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 12:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Americorps can be a good option for you if you can give 40 hours/week to a community for a full year, but few people who have families can do that. For the most part, Americorps workers are single kids right out of college, or retirees doing it for fun. I would tell your husband that getting a degree will increase your earning potential, and you will be able to pay off the loans after you get a degree. Best wishes. I applaud you for your efforts! Good luck!!!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 12:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Many student loans you don't have to pay interest until you are out of school. So you pay strictly on principal, and it will be fairly reasonable payments until you are out of school. Start looking into jobs you can attain with your degree before you actually earn it so you may have a tenative position for when you get out of school and you have to start paying higher payments. Maybe if he sees you have a plan, he won't get as upset. Or explain to him that your father has agreed to help pay them off in an effort to help you guys out.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Wow. I could not imagine doing something so selfish. You not only did something he was against. But now HE is liable for those loans if you default. And your baby is still at home to boot. This is really sad. If I were him I'd have you sign a postnuptial agreement stating that these loans are yours and yours alone. And that none of the marital assets should be allowed to go towards the loans.
    Anonymous