Gardening question.....

I want to plant some herbs this year and tomatoes and peppers, maybe carrots. i have never done it before. Any advice?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 12:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Find out what gardening zone you live in and plant varieties that will do well in your area. Not sure what other kind of advice you're looking for. I love gardening!!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 12:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My husband , who is now deceased always had a beautiful vegetable garden. He always made sure the ground was turned and if necessary put fertilizer on it. We were both avid fisher people and he would always add the fish heads to the soil..
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Tomatoes, carrots and peppers do not like a heavy soil. Your soil should drain well but not so fast that it doesn't hold water at all. Add lots of organic matter like lawn clippings, shredded newspaper, kitchen garbage, etc. If you have a farmer nearby, have him bring a load of barnyard dirt or dried manure to work into your garden. I buy healthy plants from a local nursery and then feed a foliar fed fertilizer every 14 days like Miracle Gro (I use a fertilizer called Tracite, much cheaper) until blossoms start to form. Since with most herbs you use the leaves, I would NOT water them with the fertilizer (eww, don't wanna eat the fertilizer). Join the Vegetable Gardening group here on CM if you'd like to learn more!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2009