how do you season a cast iron skillet?

I recently got one and I know you are s'posed to season it. But with what and how?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 12:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• http://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Cast-Iron-Skillet

The more you use it the better it gets. I would strongly suggest trying to find a used cast iron skillet and use it. Ive always had better luck with that than with new ones..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• well we had to season our wok when we bought it we had to put oil in it and put it on the stove and just keep spreading the hot oil around all over the pan. then when that oil is gone you let that cool and do it again we had to do that three times.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have a cast iron "comal" I use it to make homemade tortillas.

When I am done with it let it cool off wash it then I coat it with oil so it won't turn rusty.

Not too thick just enough to coat it. GLapron

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• so pam cooking spray would be bad right?
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My mother had alot of cast Iron and she would always put the seasoning into the pan and then turn the oven on 500 and leave it in there for 10 mins put a little of water in the pan just little
    jyssi1557

Answer by jyssi1557 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What jodi said =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• When I seasoned my new cast iron skillet I put cooking oil all over it and put it in the oven on low for a couple hours then turned off the oven and let it cool. Then I took more paper towels and dried it thorougly and stored it in the cupboard between a couple paper towels just to absorb any extra oil. I did notice that a spot that I missed got rusty but no other place did. I don't put the pan in the dishwasher but wash it with dish detergent and sometimes rub a tiny bit of oil over it again. My MIL never washed hers. She'd use a paper towel to remove any food debris and then rub another paper towel over it with whatever oil remained in the pan from the cooking. I don't feel comfortable doing this, though.

Answer by Bmat at 2:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I should mention that the rusty spot I took care of my scrubbing it with brillo and putting oil on the spot before cooking with it. It's just like the rest of the skillet now.

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009