My 9 month old daughter hates drinking out of her bottle and even when i try to feed her the formula in a sippy cup she still refuses it. Do you think it will be ok to start weining her off the bottle?

tiffenay31

Asked by tiffenay31 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• of course if she doesn't like the bottle i dont see why not but you will have to get her used to using the sippy
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think they're supposed to have breast milk or formula for the whole first year. Ask your doc what he thinks.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• oh no i wouldn't put her on whole milk just yet if thats what you mean but taking her off the bottle with formula or juice in a sippy is okay
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• yes she'll reject it ...for a few times and soon she'll take it ..thats what i did with my daughter but it has to be done ..they dont go hungry
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Weening off the bottle is one thing, weening off formula is another.

It doesn't matter if she takes a bottle or a sippy cup. (if she can drink from a sippy, there is no reason for a bottle anyway)

If you mean to ween her off formula, there you need to talk to your doctor. Ours had us switch to milk, but the boys were eating a balanced diet of table foods...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Of course you can wean her off the bottle. My oldest was off the bottle by 6 months and my 5 month old is almost there. You just have to find the right sippy for her
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son is 8 months old and he's been drinking regular milk out of a sippy cup for awhile. He still drank formula in his bottle most of the time though. He's pretty much tired of his bottle to and really prefers the sippy cup. I asked his doctor and he said that because of the way they suck on the sippy cup verses the completely different muscles used for the bottle it is a good idea to get them off the bottle as soon as possible. Now about taking him off the formula that's a whole different story. That depends on how much baby food she's eating. Babies need a variety of vitamins and they usually can't get each one from one jar of baby food or even 3 a day. You see formula does have all the vitamins your baby needs for each day. The important thing to remember is to watch and make sure she still gets all her vitamins. As long as she is drinking 2 or 3 sippy cups of formula a day and eating 2 or 3 jars of different baby
    bedtimebearmom

Answer by bedtimebearmom at 1:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• foods and not loosing any weight than she's doing fine. Also don't take her completely off formula until she's atleast 12 months old.
    bedtimebearmom

Answer by bedtimebearmom at 1:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Wean her off the bottle... sure... but if she doesn't like her sippy how and what will she drink?
    She needs to stay on fomula until she is a year
    Even if she is a good eater she needs more nutrition than she can take with baby foods AND she needs to keep hydrated
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Just because they need formula or what not doesn't mean it has to be out of a bottle. Both my children got tired of thebottle aroudn 9 months...try giving the formula in a spillproof cup with a straw. My kids wouldn't use sippy cups but they both loved the spillproof cups with straws. They make them in those disposable things. the take alongs i think they are called.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009