Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax information, dont trust my husband.

the husband is the type to tell u what HE thinks I should know, not the truth. My w2's havent showed up yet, they were sent out on the 31st of Jan. hes taken the mailbox keys. so Im not sure if he has them or not. My question is, to file jointly does he need me there? I haven filed jointly evre so I really dont know. Please help....


Asked by NiekaC at 12:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (9 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • If he files electronically you dont have to be there. He can sign for you electronically. Your best bet is to wait until Feb 15th and ask for new w2s. Call the irs and ask if a returns been filed.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • I believe you do need to be there. Wow! why would your husband lied about this?

    Answer by aznblond9 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • You will have to sign the documents, so yes, you do have to be there.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • Yes he does need you there, I know this for a fact because I couldn't be there when my husband was filing ours, and they had to give him a "power of attorney" paper that I had to take and get notarized before he could file them.  So, unless he allready has power of attorney over you, he cannot file jointly with out you present.

    **I agree, that is a pretty crappy thing to lie about!!


    Answer by CarieP at 12:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • ooohhh...I didn't think about filing electronically...I don't know anything about that, but can't he get into trouble for that??


    Answer by CarieP at 12:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • You have to be there

    Answer by teresalangston at 12:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • you have to sign the papers. but i being married am able to sign my hubbies name on anything so i don't know,. your hubby is a rat.

    Answer by jodi205 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • You only have to be there if he takes them to say Jackson Hewitt. I file the taxes for me and my hubby on Turbo Tax and I don't need him there. I sign for him electronically. If your husband does stuff like this, I'd say you have big problems. What kind of stuff has he been up to?

    Answer by feesharose at 12:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • Unless he files electronically. You can contact the IRS and see if a return has been filed in your name.


    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • Steal the mailbox key back. I wonder what he's up to?

    Answer by TessaBianca at 1:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009