What do I do if....??? (Employee tax form question) HELP : )

My husband is (well was..he got laid off August last year) a Contract Employee. He doesn't receive a W2 form but a form 1099 instead. We didn't receive it in the mail by January 31st so he called his previous employer and the accounting department said, and I quote, "Oh...I got a bunch of 1099 forms and didn't know who they were for so I sent them back to the main office". WTF!!!! His name was printed on it...duh!!! All I could think at the time of that response was...what kind of excuse is that??? I'm waiting on that form to complete my taxes because I have to have my return done to apply for financial aid by the 16th of this month for my son for college next Fall. What do I do if they won't return my calls and I still haven't received the 1099?

happy2bme7

Asked by happy2bme7 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would call the office and very politely but firmly ask again what you have to do to get the 1099. When they say they don't have them, blah blah blah, ask them as if you don't know the answer, "Should I call the IRS and get a copy from them?" LOL I bet they will make sure you get it asap!! The IRS can penalize them for not mailing them on time. BUT, only if they can't claim that they made every attempt to get the 1099's mailed. They may say that they didn't have addresses to all the contractors. Thats why contractors have to look out for themself and make calls to the companies they work for and make sure that the company has a current address.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Legally they were supposed to mail them out by Feb 2nd. Keep calling, that's pretty much all you can do.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would keep calling until they send it. I would also try to find out from the IRS if there is anything you can do. i tried to find something on their Website for you but I couldn't sorry.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 1:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Well, it didn't come in the mail today. I guess I'll have to give them a polite call on Monday and mention the IRS in the conversation...ughhh! I hate this : (
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Finally got it yesterday........
    Thanks for the advice ladies : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2009