Posting this on behalf of a friend who needs advice...

An online friend of mine is asking for advice. Her name is Lisa and she was pumping gas the other day and saw a woman at the pump across from her with a screaming six month old baby. The mother was screaming at the child "Shut up!" "Shut the hell up!" "Why are you always screaming!" "I'm sick of you, you little brat!" The woman picked the child up and held her like she was about to shake her so Lisa decided that it was time to intervene and she asked the woman politely if she would like her to see if she could calm her down. The woman shoved the baby into her arms and finished pumping her gas while Lisa rocked her and sang to her. The baby calmed down and, when the woman finished pumping her gas, she got in her car and told her "Her name is Aaliyah. If you want her, you can have her." and she drove away.

My friend was shocked and didn't really know what to do. She drove across the street and picked up a car seat and some diapers. The baby had a full diaper and a rash. She was also pulling on her ear so she took her straight to a doctor and they called Child Protective Services. The treated the baby for an ear infecting and the rash (which explained the screaming) without charging and the social worker told her that, since the woman left her in her care, instead of in a dumpster or something, then it is my call whether she gives her to child services or files for adoption. She and her husband have been trying to conceive for two years and they are seriously considering keeping her. They feel like God meant for them to have her. They both love her so much. CPS is going to try and track down her birth records. They don't even know her birthday. The doctor estimates that she is about six months old. She is sweet and precious (as babies tend to be) and they love her very much.

What would you do in this situation? Would you keep her or give her over to CPS?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some how I dont see social services doing that but if she wants the child then I guess its hers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• if I had the means I would keep her in a heart beat. I hope they find that egg donor and lock her up
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• If they want a child and are doing everything legally then I would think putting the child into the system would be really quite odd. Of course the couple would keep her if everything is on the up and up-my only fear would be that the mom would come back...but even to provide a safe happy environment for a short while could work wonders in the childs life
    Hollander

Answer by Hollander at 8:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I thought most of the time when a child is abandoned and CPS was called, they would take the child, especially in a situation like this where your friend does not know anything about the baby. if the mother left the child in her care, than she should be able to give CPS the information to contact the mother to get birth certificate, other information about what her intentions are for her child.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I thought only certified foster parents could care for an abandoned baby? If this is for real, then I hope your friend gets to keep the baby and that they birth mother gets her tubes tied.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I am SURE they would do a search via news etc for any other family that this child could stay with before this happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• Sounds like BS to me
    Her 1st thought was buy a carseat??
    Who wouldn't call 911 before anything else??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• I would tell the police to get video from the gas station and every business with a security camera in the area and track her down. I would tell CPS that I am willing to adopt, but don't want someone to come and reclaim a child I have already bonded with. I would want the whole thing completely legit so there would be no suit filed to return the child to it's birth mother (figuring that this would destroy me emotionally not only losing a child I had bonded with, but to a mother that would be so careless as to leave her child with a complete stranger).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• They are checking the video to find the mom.

The law says that, since she left the baby in her car, she has the right to temporary guardianship, which she has now.

Her first thought was getting the baby checked out by a doctor who would call CPS. She didn't know how to call them but it didn't occur to her to call 911 at the time.

Abandoning the baby automatically terminates her parental rights.

The baby was abandoned in her care so she can keep her if she wants.

I think she is going to file for adoption. They are searching for her mother.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2012

• If you friend is smart she will call the police immediately and should have as soon as the woman left. The woman could come back and have her arrested for kidnapping.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2012