How many of you sleep/slept with your baby/kids?

Believe it or not, but i slept w/ my baby until she was four. I breastfed & it seemed to be the best way for us both to get adequate sleep, it helped me stay quite sane. I know pediatricians worry about suffocation when it comes to small babies, but i've always been a light sleeper. Even if she breathed out of normal pattern i would wake up. But i sure do know some heavy sleepers. I read a story not too long ago of a women who fell asleep breastfeeding in her bed, & her breasts were so large that the baby suffocated & died....how horrible. But I do believe its good for bonding. What are your thoughts?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 1:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am for it and always have been. I coslept with my kids and even still the younger ones will climb into my bed if they get scared or whatever. I always thought it was a good thing and when I took a psych class last semester they said cosleeping was very good for kids. They end up with high self esteems, more self confidence, are willing to try new things, and have higher IQs. They dont know why? The benefits of cosleeping wear off though after age 12. I dont know anyone whose coslept that long but whatever LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 1:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I slept with all three of my children. I probably would have never got any sleep if I didn't! They all sleep in their own bed now although my 1 year old will still climb in bed with me in the morning.
    Anonymous

• i didmt like doing it when my son was 1st born i think for the 1st 3 weeks he slept with me but i hated it and then not to long ago when my son turned two he slept in the bed with me and hubby foe a month i slept on the couch he moves around and sucks on his pappy i hated it he sleeps back in his on bed now thank god i know it sound mean sorry
    Anonymous

• i slept with my son until he was 4 and i slept with my daughter now well when she was a baby she slept in her crib til i broke my son from sleeping with me then she decided to start but i was peranoid that he would die of sids i had a brother die of it at 4 months 3 days so i was worried
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I'm pro co sleeping but you're right...if you're a heavy sleeper or have been drinking or are on medication that would affect your ability to wake up, co sleeping is probably not the best idea. My daughter is 3 and I just put her in her own bed 3 nights ago because I am pregnant and I keep getting kicked LOL. But, we've really enjoyed it and it has created a huge bond between myself, my husband and my daughter.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I did not co-sleep, they all slept in their own crib/bed.

I feel I bonded just fine with my sons.

It wasn't for me, but if others are going to do it, that is their decision......I don't disagree with the practice, but it just wasn't the right thing for us.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I use to still sleep with my mom on and off til I was 17!! Don't know why, her bed was just cozier I guess. I know, I'm a big baby!
    Anonymous

• I did with both kids. My son decided around 2 years old that he wanted to be in his "big boy bed". My daughter was about 4. It did create a wonderful bond. They are now 29 & 26 and don't seem to be suffering any weirdness.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughter Noel has trouble getting to sleep, so I lay with her until she falls asleep, but no we don't cosleep.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I miss it, & so does my daughter. I just bought her a larger bed so that if i want to, i can sleep with her. She was all about it & she is 7. Wonder at what age she'll kick me out?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009