ok mommys i need some advice on my 6 week old

ok so my 6 week old is a little piggy i cannot get her full for the life of me i give her anywhere from 4-5 oz and an hour later she is hungry again so i will give her another 2. I know people have asked this kinda of question but i feel like this is just to the extreme with her. When she is up i literally have to feed her every hour and i have tryed other things to make sure she isnt hungry and of course she is. I have switched formuals from similac advanced to sensitive to soy but i have weened her off not just cold turkey it shes on soy right now i have tryed mixing powder with the liquid to try to thicken it up and dont judge but i have also tryed alittle rice cereal i have heard all the she cant digest it at her age and what not but i feel like its the only thing i can do to help her get alittle more full and she is also really gassy like farts all the time and i dont know whats up with that either help me out here please

Nychic155

Asked by Nychic155 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How many oz is she taking in a day?
    A good ballpark for what she should be taking is 2.5 oz per how many pounds she weighs. So if she is a 10 pound baby she should have around 25 oz in a day. And with a growth spurt she will wane more.
    She is probably having a growth spurt- there is one around 6 weeks old (my son gained 4 lbs between his 2nd and 3 month!!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Well, honey, babies fart all the time. If you think she is having trouble getting some of the gas out, you could pump her legs like in a bicycle motion. As far as the food, well she could be going through a growth spurt. If she wants more, just give her more. Maybe you should switch to 6oz bottles, it may hold her over longer. Don't mess with the cereal yet, she doesn't need it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The farting is because of the soy...I would put her back on normal formula and keep feeding her...it is normal. All babies go through a phase where they just want to eat and eat and eat...babies know when they are full. Unless she is severely overweight i would keep feeding her...
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• First of all, mixing powder formula with liquid to thicken it up is really concentrating the formula and that's not good. it would be like feeding her the concentrated liquid without adding water and that can really cause some bad digestive problems. That's probably what's causing her to be so gassy and uncomfortable. You really need to stop doing that. Second, she is way too young for any cereal at all. Babies' digestive tract is not able to deal with anything other than formula or breast milkat 6 weeks. This is also what's probably giving her such tummy trouble. When babies' have any kind of tummy problems, gas, or pain, they equate that with hunger and cry appropriately to be fed, when sometimes all they need is a bit of extra comfort and maybe some drops to deal with the glassiness.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• well she was 7lbs 14 oz a few weeks ago at her last doctor visit but was born 5lbs 9oz and it didnt matter which formula i had her on she was already just gassy all the time and as far as the cereal i dont do it all the time i have done it 2 times and it didnt seem to affect her because she was hungry again in another hour anyway and as far as the oz's a day god i dont even know because it can be like 3 here 4 there 2 ozs there i will have to add that one up at the start of a new day. I'm just trying to anwser everyones questions so bear with me lol but thank you so far its just my first baby and i feel like this poor kid is starving no matter what i do i really hope its a growth spurt because she looks like she is gaining weight.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Babies typically go through a growth spurt around 6 weeks. I'm not sure just what to tell you because I've only dealt with BF babies.

The rule of thumb is their tummy is the size of their tiny fists (supposedly no room for 2oz). The rule of those is to take the child's weight and multiply it by 2.3 then divide that by the number of feedings per day/ 24 hrs (usually 8-12). So according to what you said, she should be getting roughly 2.26 oz each feeding if she eats 8 times and 1.5 oz each feeding if she eat 12 times a day (the more likely number of feedings). Feeding a child too much at once can stretch their stomachs which can cause obesity.

Now not every child is the same, but if your child is eating WAY more than the "normal" (just to be safe) I would talk with you Dr to make sure that her tummy is getting the "turn off" signal from her brain.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• At this age she is digesting it all really fast. My son was just a few weeks older then she is now and i was told that in 45 minutes 2oz it out of his tummy and he will want more. If she tolorates regular milk based formula you should keep her on it and try giving her 6oz at a time and see if she tolorates it and it fills her up for a little longer
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son was breastfeed and acted like that to. Wat u should do is have her on a schedule and mix cereal in with the milk. i have been doing that since he was 2 weeks old. It works. You just have to tough it out and she'll catch on.
    SexyUniqueChic

Answer by SexyUniqueChic at 2:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009