has anyones dog thrown up from kibbles n bits or from a switch in brands? we just switched 2 weeks ago and hes thrown up like 9 times he was on purina before but we bought kibble cuz it was on sale

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pets

• It can be hard on a dogs digestive tract to suddenly switch foods. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not need variety. It is best to keep them on one brand consistently. However, when you do switch the brand, the best way to switch is to mix the regular food 50/50 with the new, then gradually add more new to less regular until they are totally on the new.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• no he shouldnt be doing it because of the food unless he has a real sent. stomach i would call the vet and maybe run it by them
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I just switched my dogs food last week and I'm thinking it was a mistake. She was eating Purina one large breed puppy but she was going through it so fast. I bought the Purina dog chow which is twice as much for the same price. From the first day she has been farting like crazy! She threw up a couple times and got diarhea. Not sure if I can put up with her gas, we still have like 30 pounds of food left! Maybe it would have been alright if we switched slowly.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have 3 dogs. Over the past 6 years I've given them a variety of dry dog foods. There is always an adjustment period, and I've always seen them vomit or diahrea with the change. The worse for all 3 together was Purina. haha. They all were having diaharea and itching like they all had poison ivy. So here I am with a big 'ol useless bag of Purina. BLAH! (I bought it because it was cheaper...that'll teach me)
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I switched my dog to Ole Roy's and he was sooooooooooo sick his stomach was making loud noises and he didn't eat and was just throwing up everywhere and he was sad looking. Biggest Mistake I ever made!!!! When you switch you need to do it gradually mix it with the old kind of food and give him less and less of the old food each time and within a week it will be ok.
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What KIND of a dog? If it is a terrier, they have far more sensitive stomachs. 9 vomiting sessions is a little much I think. Usually they'll have sour belly for a day or two - tops. I'd switch back ASAP and not switch again knowing your specific dog has a sensitive belly.

Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 2:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We have always used Purina and then switched ti kibbles and my dog had an allergy to it, so we had to switch back and we've been good since.
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Isn't if funny, for every dog, there's a positive and negative on the brand of dog food. haha.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• More importantly,if you find a food your dog likes,why switch it up? I never buy cheap dog food for my dog because them getting digestive problems isnt worth the hassle. Check some of the labels on that dogfood. I have used Purina One forever and have kept with the brand,but,switched to a sensitive system variety that seems to help my doggies. I learned years ago that most food thats cheap,isnt worth a *hit and usually makes them sick.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 10:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• When you switch a dogs food you are supposed to mix it with the food they are used to and slowly introduce them to it. If you dont if can make them sick and give the diarhea like you said happened. It also could be that its body just does not agree with that food.
    sillyface1988

Answer by sillyface1988 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009