My kids 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 are sick with coughs and colds. What do you do for your kids?

So we have been giving them benadryl for their noses, vaporizors humidifiers but nothing seems to be helping. Does anyone else have suggestions? They haven't been sleeping very well at all.

lyndonsmom

Asked by lyndonsmom at 1:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• we did dimetapp childrens our dr told me to give our 2 year old 1/3 of a tsp it worked only every 6 hrs though
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Are you using a warm mist humidifier? That will work better than cool mist. Keep them slightly elevated if possible when they sleep. You can also turn your shower into a steam room. It worked wonders with my DD. Also, take note if their cough is productive. Are they bringing up any mucus or fluid with the cough? Try and get a Dr appointment if it worsens or they show signs of breathing trouble.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 1:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If they have a bad cough I would get them checked out. Our doc. put our son on steriods for his cough. They also had him doing a nebulizer treatment. But the shower works wonders. The doc also said that sometimes kids respond to cold air better. They said to sit in a bathroom, with a hot shower running for about 15min then go outside into the cold air.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I use the blue suction bulb to get their snot out. I give them bee pollen and echinacha (spelling?) tea.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I put Vicks on my children's chest and feet. I put socks on their feet to keep the Vicks from getting on everything. My children just got over their colds. Putting Vicks on them helped them to sleep through the night. They didn't cough as much and they were able to breathe better.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Have you tried the vapor bath before bed? It seems to help my boys. You just put a little in their worm bath (Keep the door closed so the bathroom steams up). Then elevate their mattress a little while they are sleeping. Hope this helps.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 7:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I know because they are so young nobody would tell you this but I've found that for the worst colds and stuff Children's Tylenol cough and cold works wonders. Just be careful for the doseage, just give them like half or less of the recommended dose for the youngest child on there. Hope I could help. Good luck!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 4:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Garlic on their Feet. put raw Garlic on there feet. Then put a plastic bag over that do it while they are sleeping or they will tear it off. Make sure you only feed them Vita water or other jucies with lots of vitamins like pomagranted juice. or Acia Juice. get it at any grociery store.
    JuanitaWaterman

Answer by JuanitaWaterman at 1:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have a four year old that is very cough and cold prone. . . I have discovered though that he has a bad reaction to almost all cold medicines, in that he can't sleep, or sleeps very lightly when on them. What I have found works for me is keeping him well hydrated (lots of juice, gatorade, or water, but NO milk), warm (extra layers as needed), and if I see that he is very uncomfortable I will give him 1/4 to 1/2 a dose, just on a time by time bases. That usually does the trick and he is up and about in a few days, if I dose him regularly though, he will not sleep and develops pneumonia from the lowered immune system. . .of course all kids are different, but if your little ones can't sleep, it might be the medication, and they will have a harder time recovering.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009