what say you?

Cooper: Obama staff encouraged defiance of Pelosi

Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN) -- one of the lead Blue Dogs -- made a startling admission to lefty Liberadio on Sunday, suggesting the White House quietly encouraged him to buck House leadership on the stimulus.

Cooper was one of 11 Dems to vote no -- joining every GOP House member.

"Well, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I’m doing," said Cooper, one of about 55 House Democrats to sign a letter criticizing Speaker Nancy Pelosi for suspending normal debate and committee rules on the $819 billion package.

He went on -- and on:

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 1:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "They know its a messy bill and they wanted a clean bill. Now, I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don’t care what’s in the bill, they just want it pass and they want it to be unanimous. They don’t mind the partisan fighting cause that’s what they are used to. In fact, they’re really good at it. And they’re a little bit worried about what a post-partisan future might look like. If members actually had to read the bills and figure out whether they are any good or not. We’re just told how to vote. We’re treated like mushrooms most of the time."
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The White House press office and Pelosi's spokesman didn't immediately return requests for comment.

Cooper, an early supporter of Obama's, referred to the House leadership repeatedly as "old bulls" and the president as "Barack," said House leaders had "pinned" Obama down by jamming pork into the bill, and expressed hope the Senate would radically revise the package
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• LINK? I would have some new respect for the man if that is the case. I'm fairly sure Pelosi is the devil.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Fairly sure? What's it gonna take lovin? Want me to part her hair so you can see her horns? *winks*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I can only hope it's true - would give a slight more credibility to Obama's admission earlier today that some things need to be removed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0209/Cooper_Obama_staff_encouraged_defiance_of_Pelosi.html
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Good. Pelosi is a nutbar.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Friday and I agree about something, it's amazing. My only problem with the article is the fact that it's a blog. I hope it's true!

That lady has had one too many botox shots and her brain cells are all gone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• supossidly this was on air america...idk
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• OHH thanks, I'll check it out.

Goodness, I hope so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009