Does anyone here make their own homemade formula?

My mom used to do so for my brother and I when we were infants. I found the old recipe in an old box. I am thinking on trying it since it is a lot cheaper than formula. It does provide all the essential vitamins they get in normal formula such as Enfamil. What do you think?

Please no rude coments about breast feeding. My baby is 6 months,i was unable to breastfeed.
Every other site i ask this on everyone is rude to me, im hoping this one will be differen, this is my first time here and my first question! Thank You!

The ingredients-

17oz. boiled sterile water

1 tablespoon karo syrup

13 oz. evaporated milk

And 1ml of poly-vi-sol (just must 1ml in first bottle of the day as directed on the box)

I haven't tried making it yet, just looking for opinions please!

Cannedus

Asked by Cannedus at 12:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What are the ingredients in the formula?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• Umm no, I wouldn't risk it.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• No, but here's a site that looks interesting

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I wouldn't risk it either.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I edited the question with the ingredients.
    Cannedus

Comment by Cannedus (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I have heard of people doing it but I would consider talking to your ped about before trying it. then you can make your own educated decision. As far as formula cost go... most peds will offer samples if you ask, many companies offer coupons and WIC actually has a high income threshold compared to other forms of PA... if you have not looked into it you may find you are with in the limits.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• Most recipes I have ever come across use un-pasteurized goats milk because it is easier to digest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I do get WIC but as you may or may not know, sometimes you run out of formula before you are able to get more. I was only thinking of using the homemade formula just to use while i am waiting to be able to get more. I wouldn't be using the homemade formula as a full time thing. But i agree and i will talk to her ped. about it next time i go in, thank you!
    Cannedus

Comment by Cannedus (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• here is the one I have seen most often but I agree you should check with your ped first to make sure it is a good fit for you baby.  http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/2009/05/goat-milk-formula-recipe.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• Based on those ingredients- then like the others said- No, I wouldn't risk it.
    That is no where NEAR the same nutritional value as breast milk or formula and there isn't enough fat in it only calories.
    Baby needs fat for the normal healthy development of the brain.

And because Mom did it doesn't mean you should.
    Many mothers also used to give honey and milk before a year a year and aspirin to kids under 15. We now know these practices are potentially life threatening.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2012