Weird movement in utero- first thought was a seizure?

I laid down in bed last night and got this horrible feeling of 2 seconds of super fast jerky movement inside- it hurt. I was almost asleep and it woke me up and made me gasp.

I got scared and thought seizure- but looking that up it seemed so rare and should have lasted longer. A lot of the forums suggested hiccups- well that would be a weird hiccup!

Baby is moving around afterwards. 27 weeks. I guess I'm wondering what hiccups would have felt like- I don't remember this at all from the first pregnancy.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Sorry Staci, hope baby stops pulling on things!

I know with my now almost 6 year old, I could have sworn she was having seizures, LOL. When she got to hiccuping, it would last for quite a while, and they were every couple of seconds. She continued to have these same hiccups after birth, but they eventually did go away.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I bet she pulled on the umbilical cord. My oldest LOVED doing that to me. It was the strangest feeling, Like being pulled inward but, sudden & jerky.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I would guess that she either yanked the umbilical cord or did some pretty dramatic somersaults. She's getting pretty big, so her movements are going to be much more noticeable and sometimes painful. Hiccups you'll recognize pretty quickly. They just feel like hiccups, in your uterus, very rhythmic. When I was pregnant with my daughter, she had hiccups all the time (even after she was born). As she got bigger you could feel them outside of my belly, so my co-workers would get their jollies feeling her hiccups on my belly.
    When I was pregnant with my son, I all of a sudden had some sharp pains when he moved (I was more than 30 weeks). So sharp that I was very concerned, so I called the doctor. They saw me immediately. It ended up being a fibroid tumor that decided to share my uterus with my son. My son was using the tumor as a punching bag, causing me incredible pain. After delivery the tumor was gone.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• The bigger they get, rolling, flipping, and any movement at all can feel really intense. You might be hitting that stage.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• She might have flipped. When my daughter turned breach I felt it and it was the weirdest movement ever.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• Hiccups felt like tapping to me. I think a seizure is unlikely.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• I remember when my baby would have her littles "freak out" movements in there! I thought it felt like seizures too, but just her being herself! It would be like a rapid shaking movement and a bunch of kicks, my belly went nuts! But my baby is 6 months and healthy as can be!
    Cannedus

Answer by Cannedus at 12:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• The umbilical cord makes sense- it felt like she was tangled and trying to escape super fast. She's kicking now. Just freaked ME out most.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2012