I heard that a lot of people put ankle weights on their children whenever they are having trouble with them being wild and running all over the place. I've heard it is also a good way to make sure they are exercising. Should I use that for when I have babysitters or not?

Asked by Ryansmommy33 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• wow that's harsh. They can actually cause adults problems when used for more than exercise why would you risk them on a growing child? Personally I use roofing staples. JK.

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• never heard of that but it sounds like a bad idea...

Answer by ZaTa at 1:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My cousins son had to wear a weighted vest because he was so hyper in class..that's the first I heard of anything like that, but I'm seriously considering finding out more! LOL ok here it comes....

• I too, have never heard of it, and I also think it sounds like a bad idea....if you wanna make sure that your kids are getting enough exercise, then limit their TV and Computer time...or go for walks with them, take them to the park....don't put weights on their ankles.

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i think that sounds cruel and have never heard of any body doing that.
    sounds like abuse to me.

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i think the leash is a better idea

Answer by aliciatron at 2:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think that is a horrible idea!! I agree with Carolyn take you kids to the park go for a walk do something other than put weights on your kids feet, that is torture and if you didnt want to chase your kids then why did you have them in the first place! And the leash thing I think is terrible too! your children arent animals, they are people!

Answer by Blaire23 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What? I think that is ridiculous. Kids are going to be hyper. Why not let them be who they are supposed to? Just sounds horrible! If kids aren't getting exercise it falls on the parents.

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I've never heard of that and I don't think it's a good idea.

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Chain them to the potty chair . . j/k. Bad idea.

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009