What does nursing on demand mean?

I have a schedule with my daughter. I don't go by the clock, but an order of events. Doe nursing on demand mean to feed your baby whenever it cries?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just whenever the baby seems hungrey. Sometimes I knew that my daughter's cries meant that she wanted to be held or walked and not neccessarily because she wanted to breastfeed. So, no...not everytime they cry but rather when they are hungrey, you don't make them wait because of a set feeding schedule.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• nursing on demand means to feed baby every time baby is hungry even if its befor the time you think baby should eat.
    just because the baby cries doesnt mean he or she is hungry. if baby is acting hungry then feed baby.
    Anonymous

• It means you feed your baby whenever she is hungry. Crying does not = hungry every time. If you are feeding based on a schedule that works for both you and your daughter, then that's great, because like you said you are not going based off of the clock.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• yess... when ever she/he want it...
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 1:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Agreed with those that say Nursing when baby is HUNGRY. Crying doesn't equal hunger. I looked for other signs such as my baby rooting, turning her head and sucking her fists in a exaggerated manner.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 2:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Nursing on demand means feeding your child when ever they are hungry regardless of the last time they ate. Signs that the baby is hunger are: "licking" lips, putting their fist in their mouth, rooting but the LAST signal they give you is crying.

It is also key to remember that they baby may want to nurse for comfort. Sucking releases hormones that calm and comfort the child, when you pare that with the close skin to skin contact and them being able to hear your hear beat relaxes, calms, and helps with over all development. Meeting this need is also part of nursing on demand.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• you nurse when the baby is hungry. I eat when I am hungry not on a schedule I don't expect a baby to either.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Like others have said, you nurse when baby signals they are hungry...however, nursing is good for more than just hunger it is also comforting. To me, nursing on demand is nursing whenever your child needs it, hunger or otherwise.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 8:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What they said, basically feeding baby when they root for it or ask for it or seem hungry.

I have no issues with a schedule if you like to have one, but if baby is DENIED food because "it's not time" and she clearly wants it, that's fucked up, lol.

I saw an episode of bringing home baby once where at night hte baby was just crying crying and they're like "i don't know what's wrong with her, she can't be hungry she just ate an hour ago" and they couldn't get baby to stop crying for like ever, then finally nursed her ans she passed out fast! poor poor baby.

Especially with newborns they need to eat very often as their tummies are tiny tiny and BM is digested way faster than BM.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2009