Learning disability?

My son is already diagnoses with Asperger's Syndrome with tendencies towards ADHD, ODD and Childhood anxiety...

Anyway he has just started 3rd grade and CAN NOT spell to save his life. They knew this last year and they have been working REALLY hard on it but here was are one month into the school year and he has failed EVERY spelling test. I started to wonder last year and continue to wonder this year... what can cause a kid to not be able to spell? He doens't seem to be dyslexic... he can read, not fluently but he can sounds out words and is ready on level. Comprehension is great...
when he spells, he still spelling phonetically and leaving out vowels. Like spelling my 'miy' He knew there was a why but her heard the i so he put it in there. Or spelling There 'Thar' and also 'allso' Words my 4 year old can spell no problem...
Yes I am going to ask the school for an evaluation of this problem but I need input. What do you think I need to be looking at? What could cause this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2012 in

• He seems to be spelling everything as he hears it. How is he learning his spelling words? Is he reading them on flashcards or anything like that?

This is something you need to be discussing with his teacher and his case worker at school. Doubtless they are very aware of the issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• He is writing them daily. Read, copy, spell activities, practice test, spelling bees, word finds, unscramble the letters... I am sure they are aware I want to know why and how they plan to correct it but first I need to know if it has a name.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• My 1st grader has been having a bit of difficulty with that. She is like your son in that she can easily read the word, but when it comes to writing it out, she has difficulty. From what I understand it is normal...being it much easier to read than to write.

DD got her first list of spelling words the first Friday after school started for the test to be taken the following Friday...we spent every day going over and over the words until the test...she got all right. Same with this time, she got her words last Friday for the test tomorrow and we have spent every day going over and over them.

How does he do when you test him on the words? Are you correcting him then and explaining to him what he did wrong, how they are actually spelled, why they are spelled that way, etc.?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Ask the school to have him tested. Put it in writing and they have 30 days to comply. There maybe something else that is causing it. Does he have an IEP? Speak with his child study team counselor and ask for advice.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• He does have an IEP. His IEP addresses his needs based on an ASD. He is already in a small group Autism class for spelling/writing. They basically use the same exact criteria as the Reg Ed but go a little slower and do so in a MUCH smaller group. Only 3 kids in his class for Writing. Plus once a week the OT works with him with in this class.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2012