Tips to get 18 month old to stop comfort nursing

he is unbearable if i refuse, screeching, pulling on me crying...with tears and everything. ahhh!! he is nursing 7-10 times a day...nothing else will sooth him :/

sarlove01

Asked by sarlove01 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• gdiamante

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2012

• snuggle instead? perhaps teething? I like teething bling!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• ^its just not that easy, thanks though. I dont have to offer, he is 18 months...
    sarlove01

Comment by sarlove01 (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2012

• my son didnt stop nursing til 15 month because he was the same way. my doc told me to do this and it actually workied really well. he told me to take my shirt off (leave bra on) and let him snuggle with u. babies that have nursed a while find comfort in feeling their mothers warm skin against them. i only had to do that each night for about a month and he was over it. hope this helps hun
    Kel.Belle

Answer by Kel.Belle at 4:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Nursing manners.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:06 AM on Sep. 13, 2012

• Aw! I nursed my DS for 20 months, however, I was firm about certain rules. I would tell him it's not nursing time (granted there were times I would nurse if something "bad" happened like he fell and hurt himself etc.) and if he cried, I would ignore the behavoir, distract but NOT give in. Another thing, my DS nursed before naptime and bed. To combat that, I gave him a little matchbox car instead and he would play with that in his crib until he fell asleep. Then he got over it :) Just remember not to feel guilty! You are a great mom who has nursed your son way past what most moms would do.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• My son is almost 27 months and just this weekend decided he no longer needs to nurse. He had still been nursing 2-3 times in the early morning, more for comfort. But for the past few nights, he didn't ask for "chi-chi" and I didn't offer. I just patted his back, snuggled, and shhh-ed or sang to him to get him back to sleep. Comfort nursing is not a bad thing. If it's absolutely driving you nuts, when he wants to nurse, instead of saying no, say, "Yes, but not right now. Would you like...?" and offer him another favorite option.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 5:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• good luck, my 28 mo old nurses atleast every hour, i just let her
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 2:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2012