Do you know anything about Dysgraphia?

any experience you can share? http://www.vaxa.com/dysgraphia-learning-disability.cfm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2012 in

• My thirty nine year old brother has dysgraphia. He also was diagnosed ADHD. They put him on Ritlan, and sent him to special ed for the dysgraphia. To this day he has difficulty writing clearly, but he's fine with a computer. He has no problems with reading, and actually has a very high I.Q. When he was a kid he was writing at the dining room table and actually pushed so hard with the pencil trying to control his writing that he carved the letters into the dining table.

He went to Cal State Fullerton for several years for help, but the writing never actually got better.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• My son has it and adhd, I kept on the schools with his iep and he graduated at 17 and completed trade school at 18, his iq is in the 170's but his writing sucks, I'd rather he text me that write me a note.....neither of us know what it says......lol
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• yep my 15 y.o. son has it. He was diagnosed after his 4th grade teachers noticed a disparity between what he offered in class discussions in say social studies and what he would write on the test.It took him a long time ,he wrote very little and could hardly be read.He does have a 504 so that he gets longer on essay type questions and to be prepared to ask for a time extension for the written part of the S.A.T.s.Most of his teachers elementary through now just have him write his essay questions on a computer.No extra time needed then.This hasn't effected his grades ,he is an honors A.P. student that stays on the honor roll. He got some help with his actual writing process ,the psychologist that tested him gave us referrals.It helped some but really his teachers have all been happy with things done on the computer.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• My son is already on an IEP for Autism but I am wondering if he has this in conjunction with it. He has always had mild/moderate fine motor delays but his hand writing is worse than any other motor skill plus he can't spell despite his ability to read at grade level. He still spells like a kindergartner in 3rd grade despite and increase in his spelling word study time. He can spell them better verbaly than he can write them... would that follow or is he a lazy speller with motor delays...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• You know, I went to the link you provided. One of the things that the resource specialist told my parents was that he could read fine....however, when he read something on the blackboard at the front of the room, then tried to write on a piece of paper, the move from blackboard to the small paper in front of him could scramble letters on the page in his mind. He also wrote things wrong, but they appeared right to him, so it was actually more than what they said on the link., of course this was more than 20 years ago for my brother, so I don't know how things may have changed.

It does sound like a visual perception problem not, I would ask for him to be tested.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• we already know he has fine motor and visual motor delays. So I just don't know how much is one thing and how much is another KWIM? I will talk to his teachers. I am not even sure what another diagnosis would do for him. He already has an alphabet soup.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• IQ in the 170's? Huh. Okay. Eistein was only in the 160's. Your son is smarter than Eistein? Wow. Good jeans poster. I know lots of children with it. My son may have it but it is too early to test. In the mean time we have him in a private school with a private occupational therapist who assists. He has difficulty with spacing his letters, numbers, and staying on the lines. His numbers are rypically reversed and upside down. As well as his letters. His OT works to help correct it. I have other kids I know with it and typically I suggest an OT who is wonderful at this.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2012