Dehydrated infant

Ok, so the last couple of days my DD has been sick. Started with congestion, then went to vomiting. I thought it was just draining, I even took her to the ER on Wednesday...they said its a virus. 4 days later still vomiting. Today has a bad case of hersey squirts and vomiting, I called her pediatrician but she hasn't called back yet....what else can I do for her?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pedialyte............ i cant say that enough it will help with dehydration and vomiting ...
    mom2_2spclkids

Answer by mom2_2spclkids at 2:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Get to the dr while they are still open!! Dehydration can be fatal for an infant! How old is she? Will she drink?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Perhaps diluted pedialyte would help. If the pediatrician doesn't call back soon I'd take her to an urgent care center. If she has been vomiting and so forth this long it can't be good for her. Please update and let us know how she is?

Answer by Bmat at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• She can't hold pedialyte down either...I've tried...
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would bring her in to the doctor ASAP. A young infant can get dehydrated really fast. She may need to be hospitalized and get IV fluids until she can keep stuff down.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yeah, don't wait for the dr to call back, just take her in!! Please update us!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• As a medical professional, get her seen ASAP! Above posters are totally right in saying an infant takes very little time to dehydrate!!! Especially if shes not drinking!

Signs of dehydration in an infant include
    -dry mouth/tongue
    -sunken fontenal (space on top of head, the "soft" spot)
    -being able to visually see the heartbeat through the soft spot (some baby's this is normal though)
    -less than 3 wet diapers within an 8 hr time (may be more or less depending on age)
    -lethargic (very very tired, listless, not playful)
    -fever (not in all cases)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• well if it is for real a virus! its extremely important to push lots of fluids if all she wants is juice,water pedi light.... i would strongly recomend that you just give her that. and knot worry about feedeing her food or formula untill she is well! the more clear fluids you push the faster she will get better
    landonsmamma08

Answer by landonsmamma08 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009