Are you a member of the PTO?

What is the annual membership fee at your child's school?

I'm wanting to join, but SO is against it. He thinks $50.00 annually is too much. Personally I think he is afraid I will volunteer him for something! LOL.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2012 in

• nope. here, its PTA, and the fees are leveled...SMH...$25, $50, and $100. the higher fee you pay, the more crap you get with school logos, and/or your kid isn't expected to participate in fund-raisers in order to join in on the pizza-party (or whatever they do to celebrate the high-sellers). its crap, the level-system. either you participate or you don't. it shouldn't matter how big the damn check is.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Every parent is automatically a member. They don't charge a membership fee to join. We call our's HSA, Home and School Assoc. By doing that we don't belong to any national org and have to pay dues.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Yes. It's $10 per parent. I belong, DH does not. I think in most school districts you need to fill out a background check form for the school before you are able to volunteer. I do both and will help out when I have time if I am asked. I did the Room Mom thing last year and I didn't have any desire to do it again this year. I ended up missing all of DD's class parties because I was running DS's class parties.

$50 is a lot.  What do you get for that?  Besides voting rights?  Do you get a school directory?  What other fundraising does the school do? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I'm not sure, Quinn. The meeting is next week so I guess I will find out more.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Ours is five a year. I've been on PTA since we moved here at three different schools lol.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Yes, and will be throughout my kids' educations!
    Moseley

Answer by Moseley at 10:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• You can volunteer and not be a member of PTO. Ours was $7.00 this year. it went up $2.00 but then he is in middle school and that may be the difference.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• um no i'm not but was thinking about joining this year now that I have two kids in the Elementary, I have no idea what the fees are or if there ARE fees :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Here PTO is free. PTA is the one we have to pay for and that's obscene just so you have the "option" of going to the conventions,

Anyone can volunteer without being a member of either organization.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Yes, I am a member. We actually just had our first meeting this morning giving out the packets on who is doing what party for which class (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day).

There is not a meeting fee, but there is a $1 membership cost.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:27 AM on Sep. 7, 2012