Ideas for cold lunches for the kids to bring to school

I am looking around in sites but most recipes i dont get it, they require alot of stuff and at moment we are in tight budget.

I am trying to find simple and yummy ideas for my kids, to bring a great yummy lunch.
I dont want them to get sick of eating same sandwiches all the time, especially peanut/jelly.

Any ideas with chicken , etc , recipes ..

what do you make for your kids to bring to school for lunch?

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2012 in Food & Drink

• chicken salad in a pita with grapes and celery and carrots

yogurt, banana, turkey sandwich

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• When my kids were younger and brought lunch to school, I got each of them a wide mouth thermos and put in hot soup, mac & cheese and leftover stews from last night's dinner. In the winter they loved having something hot. I would prime the thermos with boiling hot water for 5 min. while I was heating up the soup or mac & cheese, then dump the hot water and put in the food and seal it closed. It stayed nice and hot.

Cold lunches:
    container of hummus with pita and veggies (in a zip lock bag) for dipping.
    Send her with dry cereal and she can buy the milk and have breakfast for lunch.
    Chicken salad in lettuce wraps
    You can buy those rice wrappers (the ones they use for Thai shrimp rolls that become clear). Dip them in hot water for 10 sec. and load it up with chicken, carrot sticks, cucumber and roll it up.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• Wraps are very popular. You can put chicken, steak and lots of veggies in them. Check out this blogger. I adore her. She posts her kids lunches daily. You can also follow her on FB. That's where she posts often. http://redroundorgreen.wordpress.com/

texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

•  

for main dishes:

left over chicken legs are just fine cold and a change of pace from a chicken sandwich.

Hummus and pretzels and veggies

a big thermos filled with a fruit and yogurt parfait. (Greek yogurt for protein, granola for fiber and fruit for vitamins)

Mac and cheese 'muffins' with left overs

fruit and bran muffins with peanut butter

a 'snack tray' of boiled egg or nuts, fruits and/or veggie sticks and pretzels or a left over dinner roll/bread stick

Left over spaghetti, soups, stew or other pasta dish in a 'hot/cold' thermos.  (yes they can be expensive but in the long run well worth it)

rice balls filled with any number of yummie things! 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• My kids like chicken with pasta - I boil rotini the night before and toss with olive oil then refrigerate. In the morning I shred whatever chicken we had leftover from the night before and toss with the pasta, you can add veggies if you want and have them on hand - I use cherry tomatoes and cucumbers because my kids like them.
    String cheese and crackers. Homemade "lunchables" with crackers, slices of cheese and any lunchmeat for her to put together. Also vary fruits - kiwi, apricot, melon, etc instead of the standard apple or banana.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• laptoplunches.com.

Go to this site.  It has a lot of great menu ideas for cold lunches.   Look in the menu bar att the top of the page.

Thank you Quinnmae.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• You can make chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad either put it on bread or in pasta, turkey and cheese sandwiches, or you can use tortilla wraps
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 7:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2012

• We do a lot of quesedillas, bananas wrapped with a tortilla and peanut butter, veggies and dip and left overs.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• I did cold cereal, yogurt, fruit. He got milk at school.
    I made my own lunchables. Ham, cheese, crackers or pretzels, yogurt.
    I have sent Ramen noodles, chicken soup, mac and cheese in a thermos.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• We do leftovers, ramen, sandwiches, tuna and crackers, soups, I make and freeze calzones, tamales, chimichangas, pizza and all kinds of other stuff they take too, and then they take apple, grapes, oranges and other fruits with trail mix, chips, nuts, whatever is there and they're in the mood for really
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 1:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2012