What do you think of the name lorelei? and do you think many people would nick name her lori?

I am not pregnant but hope to be in a year or so once my youngest is out of diapers. If i had another girl i always have liked the name Lorelei, but i hate the name Lori/Laurie it reminds me of someone i can't stand plus im just not a big fan of the sound of it.

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2012 in Baby Names

• i like it and i think rory is a common nickname for lorelai

Answer by tnm786 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I watched Gilmore Girls too so, I automatically think Rory. But, not everyone will.

Answer by 3libras at 1:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• then again i was a huge gilmore girls fan lol

• my guess- they will call her Lori or Laura

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I like the name but do think it will get shortened to Lori quite a bit

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I would think it would be shortened to laura and not lori, there's no lori in lorelei

Answer by staciandababy at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I like Lorelei but I m afraid you wil get it shortened to Lori. What does hubby think and what nick would he give her with that name?
    My DD has a name I love and there is a nick I love but hate a different nick. I told DH we can call her this BUT not that sure enough she was handed to him to walk her and the he and the nurse walked dow n the hall and he was saying over and over the "bad" nick.

I am better about it but I am just warning you. lol

Answer by Dardenella at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I think people will try to nickname her Lori, but you don't have to allow it. My husband's name is Robert but he HATES the name Bob, so he will correct people when they try to shorten his name. With reminders, people eventually get the hint.

Answer by hootie826 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I also watched Gilmore Girls and my first thought was "Rory/Rori" as a nickname. It's honestly hard to say what, if any, nicknames she might have, though.

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I love the name Lorelei, but I'm sure a lot of people will shorten it to Lori or Laura.

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2012