What type of childcare do you prefer?

For mom's that need to put your children in childcare do you prefer a daycare, babysitter/nanny, or a liscened home daycare?

I start my job in a little over a week and we need childcare 3-5 days a week. I never had to go this route with my oldest so I'm feeling so overwhelmed with the fact I have to do this with my almost 1 year old. So I don't even know where to start looking, what questions to ask, what to look for etc...

JennieMarie1103

Asked by JennieMarie1103 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2012 in General Parenting

• I've always used daycare centers. I don't have to worry about them being sick, plopping the kids in front of the tv all day, or taking vacations. I look for reputable ones that are big on education, not just letting kids play. Questions to ask is classroom size, student/teacher ratios (always try for lower than the state minimum), sickness rules, penalties for being late/cancelling contract, and safety guidelines.

If you do choose a center, be sure to visit the classrooms and observe the children. Crying happens, but is the room in chaos, do the kids look happy (teachers can fake it), and how clean is it?

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I prefer a babysitter. I would take time to find one that is best for you and that you feel you can trust. A babysitter usually just keeps 2 maybe three. The daycare on the other hand have too many to count and kids get sick much easier. Babysitters are also usually cheaper, but you have to be prepared for them to be sick/ dr. appointments and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• In the beginning I wanted a childcare center but they were just so expensive. We ended up putting him in a licensed home day care and I was so happy with my choice. He got much more attention and affection than he would have in a school-like day care center. There wasn't as much of a solid schedule/curriculum but at 7mos-3 years I really wasn't worried about that. Plus she was good about taking them to the nearby park, she had a whole set up in the backyard, they did some crafts and had story time, etc. It was like he was just plopped in front of a TV all day. He did learn how to count, the ABC's, etc. and we worked on stuff at home but now that he's in preschool he's still pretty advanced for his class. I was very happy with where he went and was so sad to see him leave.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I will say though the the downside was having to reschedule when she was sick (which was rare) or took a vacation which was only two weeks out of the year.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• we got really lucky when we decided on a day care center for my youngest. It was in between a home day care and a center. It was just being opened, and I casually knew the owner from years before. She and I became pretty much best friends, she and her husband come to our family events and vise versa. And my child got amazing care and preschool because she was small. Large enough for a building and other teachers, but she put her special touch on it like it was still her home daycare.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I loved our home daycare. I work there now. It's a great experience for the kids. But not so big, the kids really love it. But ours books up like a year in advance, I doubt you'll find one in such short notice. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• People tell my daycare provider when they are thinking about trying to get pregnant so they will have a spot!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I'm a SAHM, but if I ever went back to work, I would use a nanny to come to my house if I could afford it. When I was a single mom of 3, I had a college graduate that came to my house and kept my kids before and after school during the school year and during the day all summer. She was out of college, but not sure exactly what she wanted to do yet with her psych degree. She was excellent! The plus was that she was totally focused on my kids, not a roomful; my kids were in comfortable surroundings; activities/meals were catered to my kids likes/dislikes; and if I needed her to run a load of clothes/dishes she was more than happy to do it!
    If that wasn't in my budget, I would go with a center. I've just heard a lot of not great things about small daycares in people's houses - unless it's someone you know, I would be wary.

Answer by missanc at 2:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• My mom watches my son for me when I need her too,I can't afford anything eles right ,the place I wounld like to put my baby at i love and I went to look at it and it was cool ,they teach them french German and sign lang :)
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 2:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I prefer centers because they are more structured and I think that they are better supervised.
    AAAMommyGirls

Answer by AAAMommyGirls at 2:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2012