When booking hotels....

Have you had luck with good deals through the Hotwire, Travelocity, and Priceline?

I looked at them, but didn't see any fantastic deals. SS goes on and on about Hotwire, but that was the worst of the 3. They wouldn't tell me the hotel name until after I booked it.

WTH? I ain't booking a non refundable hotel room without know the name and location of it! So, have you found good deals on any of those type sites?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2012 in Travel

• We use Priceline every time we stay somewhere. We actually get fantastic deals.... But you have to book that same day of your stay, usually in the evenings... because this is when they put their deals up... when the hotels are not filled that day, they get desperate to fill them, so that's when they have the best deals. We recently stayed in downtown Chicago right on the lake. It was normally a $400.00 a night hotel... we paid $110.00. It was amazing!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• We found if you go to the hotel company's website directly it's cheaper. Hotels have to pay those companies like Priceline, Hotwire, and Travelocity and that cost gets added to your hotel room cost. Just go directly to Hyatt, Hilton, Ramada, etc. and see what their prices are. You can also call them directly. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to the local hotel versus calling the 800 number.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I always use Hotels.com or the website for the company.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I use hotels.com or kayak.com

If they aren't as clear or I want more information I use the hotel's website.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I am actually in the hotel business. Hotwire, Priceline, and all those folks do have good deals and not knowing the hotel is not even that big a deal because you can choose by star rating but remember that they make money too. What you pay is less than what the actual hotel gets. Most of the time your stay will be fine but if there is a room less than par, a sell out issue or a guest service issue do you think you are on the top of the list ? Their cancellation policy is strict. If you want a cheap room last minute it is worth the gamble. Expedia, Hotels.com and the lot act as travel agents and have fees plus get commission so major brands work to keep you away from the, Independant hotels can offer great deals and specials. With Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn brands they have a "lowest price guarantee" which means the best deal is on their site directly plus you get points. (Hotwire etc being the exception)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• continued--Your best deals if you want to get better discounts on Expedia, Orbitz and the like come from bundled rates because this circumvents the "best price guarantee" because you don't know how much of the discount is coming from airfare, car rental or hotel. If you do not have an exact destination in mind but just want a deal Groupon offers some great deals as well but make sure you read the fine print very carefully.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I use Hotwire and I have had much luck with them. Like hotelmom said, choosing the star rating you want will keep you from getting any unpleasant surprises as far as hotel chains. We last used Hotwire for a hotel stay when we went to Disneyland in 2011. For about $75 a night we stayed at a Hilton Inn and Suites- the suite was great! We had a fantastic stay.

We use Hotwire for rental cars too. We are currently renting a vehicle (our 3rd in these past weeks) and have saved roughly $100 a week using them for full size car. If I go directly to the rental sites or use discounts through say, USAA, the quote for a rental is about $530 for two weeks as opposed to $325 through Hotwire for two weeks. Big difference and tremendous savings.

I have searched on Priceline, but I have never committed to anything.
    anonymous92

Answer by anonymous92 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2012

• I have never had great luck with any of them, we always get the best deal by calling the hotel directly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• My parents have some rewards thing they use so whenever I need a hotel I book through that. It usually has great prices and it helps my parents out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• I think sometimes you can get a good deal, just be sure to always read all the fine print.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2012