How do I regain control over my 5 kids? It's like I'm talking to myself.

bnadams

Asked by bnadams at 2:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Say what you mean and mean what you say. Enforce the rules. Enforce the punishments that you set out. Take away things they like when they don't listen and make them earn them back. Reduce TV and video game time, those things are priveledges to be earned each day, not "rights." If they want your attention, they can speak calmly. Take time to sit with each one by themeslves each day to find out their feelings and give special attention and actively listen. Reward them for doing well. Never bargain because you'll never get the upperhand. Choose your battles, don't nag. Don't be too hard on them but do expect them to behave and to their work. Do not give up and do not give in.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you tell them to do something and they don't follow through with a punishment. ie I asked you to pick up your clothes from the floor. Since you didn't no tv, computer or video games the rest of the night. Don't backdown cause then they know well if I don't mom will do it anyways.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We have a rule in my house - the parents win.

I cannot be broken - because I know all the tricks.

Yes, I am strict but I am very silly too. But I am not their friend, I am their mother.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009