CIO

Does anyone do it? What are the pros and cons? Does it work, doesnt it. I love sleeping with my DD but i heard that the baby will sleep better on her own.... any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We did do CIO with our son... he was getting up 6-8 times in a night and we were drained. He still gets up sometimes to eat but only 1-2 times.
    The first night we tried it it helped! We don't just let him scream though for long periods of time. The longest he has cried was 20 minutes the very first time and we checked on him every 5 minutes. Now he cries less than 5 minutes... and usually if he cries past just 2 minutes it means he's hungry and I go and feed him.
    CONS- it's TERRIBLE to listen to your baby cry... it's really hard!!
    PROS- for use we are getting better sleep. And everyone is less cranky. My son is happier and I am able to a better mommy to him because I am getting some sleep. He now sleeps a 4-5 hour stretch rather than 1-2 hours.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• There are no pros for your child, only for you.

A baby sleep better next to you and becomes trusting of you and confident in themselves if you let them grow in their own time and become independent in their own time...no matter how long that takes. If you let them cry it out they will be distressed unnecessarily. I don't see the appeal of this horrible practise.

Anonymous

• It really depends on the baby and the family. For most babies, yes, it does work - IF the parents stick with it. But there are some babies who will not go to sleep, who just get so worked up that they can't relax.
    As AmiJane says, you just get to the point where you know that you are not a good parent in the day. My daughter needed a healthy mom who could play with her and teach her more than she needed me to give in to her fits of temper at night. And yes, for my daughter, they were fits.
    I had to just kiss sher good night and leave her. I tried going back in to check on her but for my daughter, that made it worse. She would only relax and sleep if I left her alone. This was so contrary to what I wanted that she was nearly a year before I gave in and left her.
    Cons: Listening to her cry and knowing I was the cause because I wasn't giving her what she wanted.
    Pros: A well rested baby who smiled. She rarely did before.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• CIO has no pros, in my opinion. And co sleeping isn't the culprit. My dd slept great with me not without. Some babies stir more at night, and depending on age it's a good thing.

Try "the no cry sleep solution" or "the baby sleep book"... those offer alternatives to CIO.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I never have my daughter cry herself to sleep, never needed to. but we did have her sleep in her own room as soon as we got her home from the hospital. She has always been a good sleeper. She is 4 months and very independent (in a good way). She doesn't like to snuggle besides when nursing or really REALLY tired.

I think there's a difference between letting your LO cry for 4-7 min and letting them scream for 45. Screaming isn't going to calm them down, just wear them out. But crying for a few minutes is a good way for babies to wind down (for some). If the baby is crying too long or gets to the point of screaming just go in and calm the baby down.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• CIO does NOT mean letting the baby cry or scream itself to sleep. That is a common misconception...especially by those who are against it.

There are some parents who do let the baby cry themselves completely to sleep without ever checking on them....that is NOT what "cio" is all about though.

Pros and cons are subjective. I hope you research the method yourself and make an informed decision for yourself.

For us...it worked. Would I do it again? Yes if I needed to. Out of my children, not all of them needed it.
    Anonymous

• What does CIO stand for?
    Anonymous

• I've used it. My DS usually plays and coo's around for a few minutes my fuss around and then falls asleep and is now sleeping for 8 hours a night wakes up eat and sleeps another 4. I do it everytime he sleeps. My son has never screamed I never have or will let it get to that point but I have learned we were getting him out of bed for no reason in the middle of the night and during naps. He will at times wake up and fuss for a few minutes and go right back to sleep. He has never been left to cry for longer then 4-5 minutes. When he reaches my limit of time at most 5 minutes I will go and calm him down and pat his back til he falls asleep.
    Pro's- happier baby cause they are getting more and better sleep
    Con's- you make have to hear your child cry for a few minutes.
    It has worked for me and I would tell people to do it as long as it's done the right and safe way.Never should your child be left to just scream to go to sleep.
    Anonymous

• my kids both started out sleeping in our room, but they were both very light sleepers. Any time DH or I would roll or move in bed, we'd end up with an awake and crying baby.

We did controlled crying with both and it made for much happier babies. that's right. once in their own room they slept better.

After the first 2 nights, neither cried when we put them in their crib for nap or night. Yes, they cry. But babies dont like change. Once they learn how to go to sleep on their own you'll be alright.

My 1yr old cries out of protest when we put him in bed now, but within about 60 seconds of closing his door, he's laying down to go to sleep.

(our version of controlled crying was to go in every 10 minutes, lay them down, cover them up, etc and tell them it was time to go to sleep.)
    Anonymous

• I would never do that to my kids! The only Pro is that YOU get to sleep and that only if you don't mind hearing them scream.

CIO is the first of many bond breaks between mommy and baby... There are other ways to get her to sleep!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009