How to cook meat?

The one thing I cannot cook is meat. I buy all types of cuts, thin sirloin, cube steak ,thin steak for braciole... It always comes out dry and tough, like chewing on rubber and tastes awful. I usually marinade it and then fry it. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

sophiesmom07

Asked by sophiesmom07 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Have you ever tired baking it. I gave up on frying because my stuff turned out the same way. I looked up recipes to bake stuff and it always turned out a lot better.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 3:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Your cook it to long. That's one of your problems. Beef steaks do not have to be completely done. The thinner the steak the less time you need to cook it. Try to reduce the time of cooking. See if that helps. And grilling it on the BBQ works good to.

Answer by louise2 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I never fry. I either bake it or use my indoor grill.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• you should pull meat from the heat source once it looks ALMOST done. it still continues to cook because the heat is trapped inside- if you don't cut it open first. if you cut into it, it lets juices escape and your meat comes out tough and dry. try to keep track of different meats that you've cooked and how long and at what temperature. if it comes out overdone, reduce the heat or cooking time by 5 minutes or so and see if that works next time. not all ovens cook the same, so try not to rely too much on cooking times in recipes.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• oh, also- a general rule of thumb i use for meats is to push on it with a spoon or spatula- if juices come out bloody still, it needs a few more minutes to cook. once juices start looking clear, then it should be close to done. you can also get a meat thermometer and just remember to pull the meat before it's totally done cooking, but within say, 10degrees or so.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Meat, especially thinly cut meat, cooks quickly. The only time it takes any length of time is when it's an entire roast or something like that. If you marinate it too long, don't cook it on high enough heat, or overcook it, it will be tough, chewy and dry. A thin steak should be cooked on high heat, very quickly...no more than a couple minutes per side. Try using thicker cuts, also, since it gives you a little more leeway. Also, only lean cuts need to be marinated. When you make marinade, there should be something in it that breaks down connective tissue...lemon juice, lime juice, vinegar, papaya or pineapple. The stronger the marinade, the less time you should use it. for example, one with papaya would be used for only 20-30 min. Don't put the meat in the pan dripping wet either. Remove it from the marinade and drain first. The exception to this would be the grill, which is hot enough to handle it.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The leaner, cheaper cuts are better for braising and other low, slow, wet methods of cooking...like pot roasts, beef stew, etc. Cuts like skirt steak (used for carne asada and fajitas) should be sliced thinly, across the grain. Sirloin is best when at least 1/2" to 1" thick, and cooked with dry heat until med-rare to medium. More marbled cuts, like strip steak, rib eye, porterhouse, etc, should be 3/4" or more for best results. With braciole, if you're making it the traditional way, simmered for hours in tomato gravy, then it should be meltingly tender.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• the joy of cooking has a whole chapter on it!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009